CoTyroneIreland-L Archives

Archiver > CoTyroneIreland > 1999-02 > 0919458204

From: "Joan T. Sullivan" <>
Subject: [CoTyroneIreland-L] James McGeough 1823
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:03:24 -0800

Hello, again, to all of you with Tyrone roots!
I want to thank Carol and Gaynor for keeping this list running & focused
and to Jane and others for so many helpful suggestions. There's a certain
urgency about this query, as I am a senior experiencing aging all too soon
and I want to make a trip to Tyrone like several of you in the next two
years. One Irish great grandfather is yet without a Town or County. I do
not want to go until I know where he's from. Bear with my over-detailing,
please.

I am looking for documentation of the county of birth of my great
grandfather,
James McGeough of Ireland whom I believe -yes, guess work after two years
of reseach- was from Tyrone, or, possibly, from nearby Monaghan.

My other ancestors are largely from Tyrone. They tie into his life, so
permit me to detail them.

The following is documented (Passenger list and papers of the WM METCALFE
in Australia and Church records there):

Thomas Whitfield: b. 1807 married Margaret McCann b. 1810: Dungannon, Tyrone

Thomas' father was also Thomas W. and his mother, Ellen Marshall, both of
Dungannon. That Thomas' mother was a Douglas from Scotland. In 1844 when
they arrived in Sydney with their three children: Ellen, Henry and Mary,
the ship papers indicated that his parents were deceased. The older
generation were believed to be Quakers.

Margaret's parents were Henry McCann m. Mary (Mollie) McGlone of Dungannon,
alive in 1844. I have not pursued any of this, further, but would be
delighted if someone, somewhere, connected to one or other of these
Dungannon ancestors.

>From the Ship's papers:
>Dungannon Householders Alexander Ramsey, Labea or Cabea, Wm. Brown, Townland
Killymaddy, and John Lucan, Townland Gortlenaghan were Thomas Whitfield's
character witness as they chaperoned two young women traveling alone on
leaving NIR.
Magistrates and clergymen certified the correctness of the papers: John G.
Burgess,
Parknaur, Rev. John Young, Killeshil, Ballygawley and Rev. F. Devlin,
RC.C., Tullyallen,
Dungannon.>
Thomas and Margaret both were Roman Catholic. I wonder if their church
still is standing.

In May of 1852, Margaret brought Ellen and Mary Whitfield to San Francisco
as young girls and
put them in the care of the Notre Dame Sisters of San Jose, CA, for their
education,
some 40 miles from San Francisco.

In the summer of 1854, after two years with the Sisters, at age 17 yrs.,
she married James McGeough, a Roman Catholic, b. Ireland 1823. MOST
LIKELY the McGeoughs knew the McCanns and/or Whitfields of
Dungannon,Tyrone. There were McCanns from Tyrone in the SF Bay Area in the
early 1850's.
He arrived in NY in 1846 , age 22, apparently alone. His death certiificate
(S.F.,1913) indicates that his father was Arthur McGeough and his mother
Rose Armstrong from Ireland. He stayed on until he was naturalized in NY
City in Dec. 1851, a Patrick McGeough of New York City testifying to his
character. The 1850 Census has Patrick and James living with Owen Kelley
and wife Helen and their three girls in NY City.
Now Griffiths Householder's and Tithe Applotment Lists have all these
surnames in Lower Dungannon: Armstrong, McCann, McGeough, Marshall,
Whitfield. (Val. year 1860, Tithe Applotment year 1829). Reason for my
guess above. (Kelley/Kelly is another Lower Dungannon name!)

Any connections? Suggestions? What was that Ulster Research Society one of
you suggested? Irish Family History Foundation Thankyou in advance
and GodSpeed on your research. Joan

Surnames: Whitfield, McCann, Marshall, Armstrong, McGeough, Douglas and
Kelley?.

This thread: