CoTyroneIreland-L Archives

From: Janet Fairless <>
Subject: Re: [CoTyIre] COTYRONEIRELAND Digest, Vol 5, Issue 60
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:04:51 +1000
References: <mailman.94.1267056308.25305.cotyroneireland@rootsweb.com>
In-Reply-To: <mailman.94.1267056308.25305.cotyroneireland@rootsweb.com>

Hello Everyone!

I would be enormously grateful for any information on my Wilson
Ancestors from Ardstraw Co.Tyrone.

Please allow me to share what little I known in the hope it that
resonates with other Wilson ancestors researchers out there!

I live in beautiful Brisbane, Australia and have discovered that my
paternal Wilson family originated from Ardstraw in County Tyrone. My
g.grandfather was Andrew Wilson born 1830 the son of Joseph Wilson and
Elizabeth Ross (Eliza). Andrew arrived in Sydney on "The Vocalist" on
10th October 1856 aged 25yrs. The Wilson's settled in the Illawarra
district. Andrew Wilson married Anne Maxwell, formerly from Loch Foyle,
Ireland and had 5 children before she died, and then married Susan
Muldoon formerly from Co. Fermanagh, Ireland whom he went on to have a
further 6 children with. Andrew's second oldest child from his second
marriage is my grandfather David Wilson. David died in 1926 as the
result of complications from mustard gas poisoning he received during
his World War I service. He served in both Gallipoli and France. My
father David Wilson was born in 1926.

I would welcome any additional information anyone on the list might have
for me, as I am unable to delve back beyond Joseph Wilson and his wife
Eliza Ross.

With thanks and warmest regards from Australia.

Janet Fairless (nee Wilson)

On 25/02/2010 10:05 AM, wrote:
> You are receiving this email because you subscribed to the CoTyroneIreland-D mailing list. If you no longer wish to receive these messages, or if you wish to search or browse the archives, or if you wish to unsubscribe from digest mode and subscribe in list mode, see http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/NIR/CoTyroneIreland.html for links and instructions. See http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cotyroneireland/ for our associated web site.
> Today's Topics:
> 1. WILSON in civil parish of Ardstraw (Castlederg PLU),Tyrone
> ()
> 2. Re: Hogg/Bayne/Cousley/Farrell (L Fluhrer IIIrd)
> 3. Re: Dual citizenship (Dave Mitchell)
> 4. Re: Hogg/Bayne/Cousley/Farrell (Bob& Wendy Stevenson)
> 5. Re: WILSON in civil parish of Ardstraw (Castlederg PLU),
> Tyrone (Dave Mitchell)
> 6. Pointers, Please! (JRYeager)
> 7. Re: Pointers, Please! (Trudy BARBISAN)
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:25:52 -0500
> From:
> Subject: [CoTyIre] WILSON in civil parish of Ardstraw (Castlederg
> PLU),Tyrone
> Message-ID:<>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> Peter,
> For the time period of interest to you, the Registry of Deeds located in Dublin is a place for you to visit (http://www.landregistry.ie/eng/Registry_of_Deeds_Services/). I believe that some of the indices may have been microfilmed by the LDS, so take a look at the FHL Library Catalog (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp). Microfilms are held at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland ("PRONI") (see http://www.proni.gov.uk/your_family_tree_series_-_17_-_registry_of_deeds.pdf)
> Another avenue to pursue at PRONI is its excellent collection of estate records for many landlords. PRONI now has an eCatalogue on its site that you may find of help. (http://www.proni.gov.uk/) It's only a partial catalog, so a visit may be in order. PRONI also has the Tithe Applotment for the civil parish of Ardstraw and the reference numbers are FIN/5/A/19A and FIN/5/A/19B.
> Good luck,
> -Clare L.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Peter wrote :<snip> <<I am researching the Wilsons of Cavandarragh and Whitehouse townlands in
> western Tyrone. I have got both families back as far as the freeholder's
> register in 1829, courtesy of the Strabane Morning Post, and believe that
> any further work needs to be on the land records (tenancy agreements, etc).
> Has anyone any helpful advice on where/ how I can do this?
>>>>
> ------------------------------
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:05:00 -0500
> From: L Fluhrer IIIrd<>
> Subject: Re: [CoTyIre] Hogg/Bayne/Cousley/Farrell
> Message-ID:<>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> Hello Joy:
> Quick question on Hogg last name I have a bit of a mystery in Frances
> Adelaide HOGG married at the age of 18 on 24 Sep 1884 at 156 Wellington
> St., London, Ontario, Canada to Hugh MCPHERSON she was the daughter of
> George HOGG and Eliza by the marriage record.
> She dies sometime before the 1891 census apparently lives two children
> Ethel A. MCPHERSON born 27 Aug 1885 and Rena Rebertha MCPHERSON born 22
> Nov 1888. All likely at home on Wellington Street above, London,
> Ontario. Hugh MCPHERSON and several of the HOGGS were all residence of
> Petersville, Middlesex County, Ontario on Saunby Street (now part of
> London).
> I'm looking for a death date for Fanny Hogg. I know Hugh remarries Sarah
> Jane SMITH 7 Oct 1867 - 22 Jan 1933 and Hugh MCPHERSON 1 Sep 1863 - 4
> Oct 1928 both buried at Mt. Pleasant. He had two more children by his
> second wife.
> One of the witness was a Robert Hogg not sure how he relates.
> Len
> ------------------------------
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:52:55 +0200
> From: "Dave Mitchell"<>
> Subject: Re: [CoTyIre] Dual citizenship
> To:<>
> Message-ID:<>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
> One small point.
> > From what I understand, Irish citizenship will flow through to the
> grandchild of a citizen who was born anywhere on the island of Ireland.
> Hence if your grandparent was born, prior to Partition (1922), in co. Tyrone
> in (what is now) Northern Ireland, you would qualify for citizenship of the
> Republic of Ireland (even though co. Tyrone is not part of the Republic).
> Ireland now being EU too, so no Shengen visa for the Continent.
> My grandfather was born in (what is now) Northern Ireland, at Drumenny, on
> the eastern bank of the Foyle, where, if he stood as a wee boy on the
> river's edge, and looked north, he would look at (what is now) the "south"
> of Ireland!
> That's why we love the Irish in their (our) glorious confusion.
> And my (Catholic/"native Irish") cousin in (London)/Derry has a UK passport,
> while I -- the grandson of a Presbyterian with a lineage through to Scottish
> settlers in the 1600's (must be so, pity I can't give you the names!) -
> travel there with a Republican passport.
> And on Y-DNA terms, me -- why, my DNA is Gaelic-Irish from the north-west
> (my Scotties "came home"!), my cousin's is ..... well, he's actually
> Scandinavian, from the "interlopers" all those centuries ago.
> What the heck, 5 generations back, I had 32 ancestors and they're all part
> of me, even if they wouldn't - perhaps couldn't -- all talk to one another,
> my diversity is my strength, I love and revere them all, that's what carries
> me.
> 100 000 welcomes to all.
> Dave Mitchell
> Cape Town
> South Africa
> From: "Claire K"<>
> To: "Maisie Egger"<>
> Cc:<>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:21 PM
> Subject: Re: [CoTyIre] Dual citizenship
>> Hi Maisie,
>> Dual citizenship is a relatively recent (in genealogical terms)
>> development in the US. The US now recognizes it (but only with
>> certain countries, I believe, and I know Ireland's one of them), but
>> the Department of State does not encourage it. (Depending on the
>> country, citizenship may make you liable for military service in
>> another country, or could interfere with the US DOS helping you if
>> you're stranded in a foreign country in a danger zone -- or so the
>> DOS warns). If you want to find out more, the US Department of State
>> website is probably your best source. That, or maybe the embassy of
>> whatever country you want dual citizenship in (you mentioned Germany
>> as well as Ireland).
>> I believe the conditions for dual citizenship can vary by country,
>> but for Ireland (to keep this at least somewhat on topic for this
>> list), you have to have either a parent or grandparent who was born
>> in Ireland. If it's your parent, the process is simpler; if it's
>> your grandparent, you jump through a few more hoops. If it's your
>> great-grandparent or earlier, you're out of luck.
>> Hope that helps.
>> Claire K.
>> On Feb 23, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Maisie Egger wrote:
>>> ...I did not think the USA recognised dual citizenship. ...
>>>
>>> The question, then, can a native born United States citizen take
>>> out dual citizenship (in Ireland, for example),
>>> when the oath to become a citizen is clear about renouncing all
>>> allegiance to the country of one's (foreign) birth?
>>>
> To: "L Fluhrer IIIrd"<>,
> <>
> Message-ID:<006401cab594$fa4c92b0$>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
> Hi Len,
> I live in London and would be happy to do some checking for you....only I'm
> not sure what you are looking for??
> Do you want a picture of 156 Wellington?
> Wendy
> From: "L Fluhrer IIIrd"<>
> To:<>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:05 PM
> Subject: Re: [CoTyIre] Hogg/Bayne/Cousley/Farrell
>> Hello Joy:
>> Quick question on Hogg last name I have a bit of a mystery in Frances
>> Adelaide HOGG married at the age of 18 on 24 Sep 1884 at 156 Wellington
>> St., London, Ontario, Canada to Hugh MCPHERSON she was the daughter of
>> George HOGG and Eliza by the marriage record.
>> She dies sometime before the 1891 census apparently lives two children
>> Ethel A. MCPHERSON born 27 Aug 1885 and Rena Rebertha MCPHERSON born 22
>> Nov 1888. All likely at home on Wellington Street above, London,
>> Ontario. Hugh MCPHERSON and several of the HOGGS were all residence of
>> Petersville, Middlesex County, Ontario on Saunby Street (now part of
>> London).
>> I'm looking for a death date for Fanny Hogg. I know Hugh remarries Sarah
>> Jane SMITH 7 Oct 1867 - 22 Jan 1933 and Hugh MCPHERSON 1 Sep 1863 - 4
>> Oct 1928 both buried at Mt. Pleasant. He had two more children by his
>> second wife.
>> One of the witness was a Robert Hogg not sure how he relates.
>> Len
> To:<>,<>
> Message-ID:<>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
> See also at
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~registryofdeeds/
> Nick Reddan's wonderful project.
> D
> From:<>
> To:<>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:25 PM
> Subject: [CoTyIre] WILSON in civil parish of Ardstraw (Castlederg
> PLU),Tyrone
>> Peter,
>> For the time period of interest to you, the Registry of Deeds located in
>> Dublin is a place for you to visit
>> (http://www.landregistry.ie/eng/Registry_of_Deeds_Services/). I believe
>> that some of the indices may have been microfilmed by the LDS, so take a
>> look at the FHL Library Catalog
>> (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp).
>> Microfilms are held at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
>> ("PRONI") (see
>> http://www.proni.gov.uk/your_family_tree_series_-_17_-_registry_of_deeds.pdf)
>> Another avenue to pursue at PRONI is its excellent collection of estate
>> records for many landlords. PRONI now has an eCatalogue on its site that
>> you may find of help. (http://www.proni.gov.uk/) It's only a partial
>> catalog, so a visit may be in order. PRONI also has the Tithe Applotment
>> for the civil parish of Ardstraw and the reference numbers are FIN/5/A/19A
>> and FIN/5/A/19B.
>> Good luck,
>> -Clare L.
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Peter wrote :<snip> <<I am researching the Wilsons of Cavandarragh
>> and Whitehouse townlands in
>> western Tyrone. I have got both families back as far as the freeholder's
>> register in 1829, courtesy of the Strabane Morning Post, and believe that
>> any further work needs to be on the land records (tenancy agreements,
>> etc).
>> Has anyone any helpful advice on where/ how I can do this?
>>>>>
>> -------------
>> Our community web-site:
>> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cotyroneireland
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> ------------------------------
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:50:51 -0500
> From: JRYeager<>
> Subject: [CoTyIre] Pointers, Please!
> Message-ID:<>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> Wife and I are going back to Co. Tyrone, Bovean, Coalisland, Dungannon,
> Killyman areas for two weeks in June to visit my Dawson and Joyce
> ancestors' homes and farm areas. I'm asking for some helpful pointers.
> 1. Although I heard there are auto transm. cars for rent in NI, all
> I could get was a Yaris or Aveo, manual. I was wondering- Is there some
> secret to getting an auto transm. or is every rental truly stick shift?
> I can recall how to drive them. I would just prefer not to hassle with
> the stick in a new and exciting trip experience.
> 2. Do any historians out there know any stories about how Joyce
> families, almost exclusively from Galway and Mayo Counties, ended up in
> Co. Tyrone. Was there a spate of jobs that drew people from Galway to NI
> at some time in the 19th century or before?
> 3. I've heard some horror stories about getting to Best City
> airport. What's the problem? Is it because of driving through Belfast
> city to get there, or is the airport a trashy place or what is wrong
> with it? Tell me if I need to be warned about something. Although I'm
> flying from the US into International, I'll be visiting some cousins in
> England and taking a FlyBe flight out of Best to Manchester. Is that a
> bad experience?
> 4. I don't want to take many shoes. Do I need to bring galoshes in
> early June or just carry an umbrella?
> 5. Is one sweater and one jacket enough for early June in NI?
> 6. We're going to be doing research at PRONI, but are there any
> excellent genealogical societies in Dungannon/Coalisland areas that we
> should be sure to visit? I can't find any. It seems that everything's at
> PRONI. ??
> 7. We've been warned about exchanging any money at the airport.
> Rates are the worst!? Someone told me not to exchange any money- that
> shops and restaurants in NI love dollars anyway. What's your advice?
> Where should we exchange money, if at all??
> 8. Any recommendations for restaurants in Dungannon or Killyman
> areas that we shouldn't miss- not looking for expensive- just good food
> and local culture favorites.
> Thank you!
> Jim
> ------------------------------
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:05:01 -0800
> From: Trudy BARBISAN<>
> Subject: Re: [CoTyIre] Pointers, Please!
> To:<>,<>
> Message-ID:<>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> Jim and Listers,
> I'm interested in the answers to many of the questions that Jim put out there, although my trip will be mostly in the Omagh, Sixmilecross, Bancran, Donaghenie areas. I'll be there the first two weeks in June and the last couple of May. So excited!
> Trudy Kyle Barbisan.
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> WISHING YOU AND YOURS A HEALTHY AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
> I support the National Inclusion Project "Creating communities where ALL children can learn, live, and play together." Check it out at www.inclusionproject.org !
>> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:50:51 -0500
>> From:
>> To:
>> Subject: [CoTyIre] Pointers, Please!
>> Wife and I are going back to Co. Tyrone, Bovean, Coalisland, Dungannon,
>> Killyman areas for two weeks in June to visit my Dawson and Joyce
>> ancestors' homes and farm areas. I'm asking for some helpful pointers.
>> 1. Although I heard there are auto transm. cars for rent in NI, all
>> I could get was a Yaris or Aveo, manual. I was wondering- Is there some
>> secret to getting an auto transm. or is every rental truly stick shift?
>> I can recall how to drive them. I would just prefer not to hassle with
>> the stick in a new and exciting trip experience.
>> 2. Do any historians out there know any stories about how Joyce
>> families, almost exclusively from Galway and Mayo Counties, ended up in
>> Co. Tyrone. Was there a spate of jobs that drew people from Galway to NI
>> at some time in the 19th century or before?
>> 3. I've heard some horror stories about getting to Best City
>> airport. What's the problem? Is it because of driving through Belfast
>> city to get there, or is the airport a trashy place or what is wrong
>> with it? Tell me if I need to be warned about something. Although I'm
>> flying from the US into International, I'll be visiting some cousins in
>> England and taking a FlyBe flight out of Best to Manchester. Is that a
>> bad experience?
>> 4. I don't want to take many shoes. Do I need to bring galoshes in
>> early June or just carry an umbrella?
>> 5. Is one sweater and one jacket enough for early June in NI?
>> 6. We're going to be doing research at PRONI, but are there any
>> excellent genealogical societies in Dungannon/Coalisland areas that we
>> should be sure to visit? I can't find any. It seems that everything's at
>> PRONI. ??
>> 7. We've been warned about exchanging any money at the airport.
>> Rates are the worst!? Someone told me not to exchange any money- that
>> shops and restaurants in NI love dollars anyway. What's your advice?
>> Where should we exchange money, if at all??
>> 8. Any recommendations for restaurants in Dungannon or Killyman
>> areas that we shouldn't miss- not looking for expensive- just good food
>> and local culture favorites.
>> Thank you!
>> Jim
>> -------------
>> Our community web-site: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cotyroneireland
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> ------------------------------
> To contact the COTYRONEIRELAND list administrator, send an email to
> .
> To post a message to the COTYRONEIRELAND mailing list, send an email to .
> __________________________________________________________
> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body of the
> email with no additional text.
> End of COTYRONEIRELAND Digest, Vol 5, Issue 60