CyndisList-L Archives

Archiver > CyndisList > 1997-11 > 0878981547

From: Cyndi Howells <>
Subject: November 7, 1997
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 01:32:27 -0800

Hello all -

This list is for announcements only, generally posted once a day if
updates have been made to the Cyndi's List web site at:
http://www.oz.net/~cyndihow/sites.htm

The first section contains new information added today. The last
two sections in this message list recent improvements and new
categories added recently.

I have thousands of requests for links backed up in my mailbox
right now. I'm working through 100-200 messages each day. I
promise I will get to everyone as soon as humanly possible. In the
meantime, my priorities are to correct broken links first, followed
by improvements to the list and additions of new links.

NOVEMBER 7, 1997:

Hi all -

The messages in the IN box are down to just 2,516 tonight! I'm
making progress. Thanks again to everyone who has patiently waited
for links to their sites.

I added several links to villages for Germans from Russia. Also
about 40 new Personal Home Pages and 20 new Surnames links.
Everything else is a bit of this and that.

My cold of 2 weeks ago had disappeared, but now I'm getting a cough
and sore throat. I'm going to try and get some rest this weekend,
so that I can get back at it on Monday.

~~Categories that I updated today:
Aust/NZ, Biographies, Books, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Cemeteries,
Databases, Family Bibles, France, Germans From Russia, Heraldry,
Hispanic, How To, Humor, Italy, Libraries, Magazines, Maps,
Netherlands, Newspapers, Odds & Ends, Personal Home Pages,
Photographs, Norway, Ships, Societies, Software, Surnames, General
UK, England, Gen US, Library of Congress, US Census, Civil War, US
Military, several US States, and USGenWeb/WorldGenWeb.

~~Number of new links:148

~~Number of links deleted:8

~~Number of links updated/corrected:18

~~Most memorable site(s) I visited today:

I love the title of this page:
Frank's My MOM was raised by wildcats! Homepage
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/5861/
LANNING, SWICEGOOD, BECK, BERRY,
BEARD, HUNT, HEDRICK

This map animation is ABSOLUTELY fascinating!
Evolution of United States County Boundaries
http://www.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/us.gif
It is located at:
http://www.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/us.html

e-mail by keeping everyone posted on what I'm up to each day.
http://www.oz.net/~cyndihow/maillist.htm

3. An easier to navigate table of links at the bottom of each
page. These links to are to other pages in my web site that relate
to the day-to-day operations of Cyndi's List.

4. The addition of the NetMind / URL-Minder form at the bottom of
each page. This is a free service that will notify you by e-mail
that changes were made to a web page of your choice.

5. The Scandinavia & The Nordic Countries category was split up
onto 6 individual pages.

6. A new, non-intrusive javascript menu was added at the bottom of
each US state, Canadian province, UK and Scandinavian page. This
is a drop-down menu that will allow your javascript-capable browser
to jump to another web page within that category without having to
return to the main index.

7. Oct. 25th - I began to add small links to cross-reference some
of the categories on the main sites index. For instance, under the
"Religion & Churches" category, I put in cross-referenced links to
each of the other religion-oriented category pages on my site.
I'll do more cross-referencing there as I come up with more ideas.

8. Nov. 2nd - More cross-referencing on the main index as
described above.

NEW CATEGORIES ADDED RECENTLY:

Canada - Military
Chat & IRC
Occupations
Railroads
Taxes
Travel & Research

Successful surfing!
Cyndi

Cyndi Howells Puyallup, Washington

Cyndi's List
http://www.oz.net/~cyndihow/sites.htm
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions about Cyndi's List
http://www.oz.net/~cyndihow/faq.htm

To unsubscribe send an e-mail message to:

and in the body include only one word: unsubscribe

This thread: