CyndisList-L Archives

Archiver > CyndisList > 1998-06 > 0898915977

From: Cyndi Howells <>
Subject: My weekend ahead
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:52:57 -0700

Hello all -
This weekend I am going to be one of the speakers for the Genealogy
and Local History Discussion Group at the American Library
Association Annual Meeting in Washington, DC at the National
Archives. Following are the details on the ALA activities this
weekend.

Yes, I'm doing it again. Leaving the two boys home alone. Hopefully
the house will still be standing when I return home. ;-)
Cyndi

Genealogy Librarians to Meet at National Archives during American
Library
Association Annual Meeting, Saturday, June 27, 1998.

Morning Session: 10am -- 12 Noon; Afternoon Session: 2pm -- 4pm
Genealogy and Local History Discussion Group
Saturday. June 27, 1998. 10-12noon.

Genealogy and Local History Discussion Group
Thomas Jay Kemp, Chair

The Discussion Group will meet on Saturday, 27 June, from 10:00
a.m. to 12:00 noon at the National Archives, Rm. 105.

Our speaker will be Donald S. Litzer, Adult Services Librarian,
McMillan Memorial Library, Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. He will
speak on his recent study, "Library and Genealogical Society
Cooperation in Developing Local Genealogical Service Collections,"
published in the Fall 1997 issue of Reference & User Services
Quarterly, pages 37-51.

History Section Program - "Roots on the Web: Practical Sites for
Harried Librarians"
Saturday. June 27, 1998. 2pm -- 4pm.
National Archives, Theater

Thomas Jay Kemp

Scheduled for Saturday, 27 June, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., the
History Section program will focus on practical web sites for
librarians who want to give their patrons great service but do not
have a
particularly strong genealogy collection. Tips will be given on how
librarians can quickly locate and provide their patrons with expert,
realistic, and practical advice, and will focus on resources from
around
the world.

The program will be presented by librarians from public, academic, and
special libraries experienced with genealogy and the Internet, as
well as
other experts. The program chair and moderator is Tom Kemp, Head of
the
Special Collections Department at the University of South Florida
Library
(Tampa) and the author of Virtual Roots: A Guide to Genealogy and
Local
History on the World Wide Web (Wilmington, DE: Scholarly Resources,
1997).

Other speakers include: Mary Mannix, Library Director, Howard
County (MD)
Historical Society Library; Drew Smith, Instructor, School of
Library &
Information Science, University of South Florida; Bob Fernekes, User
Education/Reference Librarian, University of South Carolina; Cyndi
Howells, Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet; and
Donald S.
Litzer, Adult Services Librarian, McMillan Memorial Library, Wisconsin
Rapids, Wisconsin.

Tom

Thomas J. Kemp, Head
Special Collections Department