CyndisList-L Archives

Archiver > CyndisList > 2000-12 > 0976256064

From: Cyndi Howells <>
Subject: Cyndi's Genealogy Home Page Construction Kit
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 22:14:24 -0800

Hello all -
I have just completed a long overdue, major upgrade on the following web page:
Cyndi's Genealogy Home Page Construction Kit
http://www.CyndisList.com/construc.htm

Some of the improvements and changes are:
~~Better organization for the outline.
~~Added a Table of Contents section.
~~Separated out the links for genealogy graphics from other graphics.
~~Added multiple new links, updated numerous broken links.
~~Created a new section with links to other similar resources online
for genealogy web page creation.
~~Created a new section titled:
"Common Web Site Problems That I See Every Day"

For your convenience, I have included a copy of the Introduction and the
Table of Contents below. Please stop by and take a look when you have time.

Good luck,
Cyndi

Cyndi's Genealogy Home Page Construction Kit
http://www.CyndisList.com/construc.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Introduction

This page was designed to be a quick start guide to creating & designing a
genealogy web page of your own. In creating this page I have tried to
answer all of the questions that I have been asked over the last few years.
There are a variety of options available and I will briefly outline a few
of them below. Creating a web page of your own isn't as hard as you might
think it is. Go ahead and give it a try - it is a lot of fun and a great
experience. You have nothing to lose and several long-lost ancestors to gain!

Table of Contents

1. Find Space On A Web Server To Store Your Web Pages
--Your Internet Service Provider
--Your Genealogy Software Manufacturer
--Free Web Pages
--Inexpensive or Reasonably Priced Web Page
Hosting Services
2. Plan The Layout, Format and Content For Your Web Site
--Layout
--Format
--Content
---Genealogy Software That Generates Web Pages
---GEDCOM to Web Page Conversion Software
---Privacy Issues
---Miscellaneous
3. Create The Web Pages: HTML Editors & Tutorials
--Professional Web Page Designers
--HTML Editors - Shareware / Software Programs
--Online Web Page Generators
--Writing HTML Code The Old-Fashioned Way -
Programming By Hand
4. Tools For Enhancing Your Web Pages
--Colors: Codes, Charts, Samples & More
--CGI & Java Scripts - Counters, Guestbooks,
Mail To Forms, Etc.
---CGI & Perl
---Counters
---Guestbooks
---JavaScript
--Graphics: Backgrounds, Bullets, Icons, Etc.
---Genealogy & History Graphics
---General Graphics
---Graphics Software & Tutorials
--Sounds
--Miscellaneous Web Development Starting Places
5. Proofread, Inspect & Validate The Text and HTML Code
On The Pages For Accuracy & Usability.
--HTML Validators & Linkcheckers
--Web Browsers To Test
6. Upload The Pages To The Web Server
7. Check Each Page To Be Sure It Is Accessible
8. Advertise Your New Web Site
--Genealogy Mailing Lists & Newsgroups
--Genealogy Web Indexes & Search Engines
--Genealogy Surname/GEDCOM Database Registration Sites
--Search Engines & Online Announcement Web Services
9. Common Web Site Problems That I See Every Day
10. Other Web Sites for Genealogy Home Page Creation
11. Books That Cyndi Owns
12. Create a Link to Cyndi's Genealogy Home Page Construction Kit

This thread: