DABNEY-L Archives

Archiver > DABNEY > 1997-11 > 0880529857

From: <>
Subject: Re: William Carr--Susannah Brooks Genealogy--Carr Family Records
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:37:37 -0800

Hello Ron;

See below.

At 11:28 AM 11/24/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Sandra E. T. Duncan,
>
>I have enjoyed reviewing your web page. I do have a couple of questions
>if you might take a little time to answer them.

Thank you. Sorry, I have little time to answer long queries until
after New Years. Please, do not hesitate to recontact me then. Meanwhile, I
will try to answer some of your easier questions.

>1) You have referred to "Carr Family Records" a number of times. What
>is the full reference of these records, and where are they located? If
>they are not at a library, how many total pages are there, and would you
>mind allowing me to pay for the cost of a copy?

Edison I. Carr, THE CARR FAMILY RECORDS, (Rockton, Illinois, Herald Printing
House, 1894) Hardcover, 6 1/2 X 9 1/2, 540 pages, indexed. Can be found as a
reprint at:
HIGGINSON BOOK COMPANY; 148-GH Washington St.; Salem, MA 01970; (508) 745-7170
Ads in Genealogical Helper; [[E-mail -- -- credit card
orders only]

>2) I have been researching the published records including Virginia
>Genealogies, Spotsylvania Records, and various internet references, and
>I am a bit confused about the parentage of Captain William Carr, died 2
>Aug 1760 in Spotsylvania Co, Virginia. In Genealogies of Virginia
>Families(from William & Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine), Vol
>I, Gen Pub Co, Baltimore, 1982, pp 588-592, there is an article by Col.
>Wilson Miles Cary. He indicates that Major Thomas Carr (1678 to 29, May
>1737) died in Caroline Co, VA. His wife was Mary Dabney(1688 to 7 Sep
>1748), and they married in 1704. He lists 4 children of this Thomas
>Carr and Mary Dabney:
>
>1) Thomas, b. 1705, no issue
>2) John, d. 17 Jun 1778; married 1)Mary[Garland], 2) Barbara Overton
>3) Agnes, mar in 1730 Col John Waller
>4) Sarah, b 14 Nov 1714, d 1772, married John Minor in 1732
>
>He then states that Capt. William Carr(will dated 2 Aug 1760
>Spotsylvania Co., VA) was the son of Thomas Carr(and Mary Garland?), the
>immigrant and brother of Mahor Thomas Carr above. He married 1) a Miss
>Chiles and 2) Susannah Brooks. I thought Capt. William Carr was born abt
>1707?

FTM descendancy list in a separate E-mail
>My questions regarding this group are:
>
>a) I have seen others place Captain William Carr as a son of the second
>Thomas Carr, not a brother--what do you think?
>
>b) Since the Chiles family is such a prominent family in the area, has
>it been discovered who the Miss Chiles was? Apparently this conjecture
>is based on the middle name of some of William Carr's chldren as
>"Chiles"--I am not convinced that Chiles could not have been Susannah
>Brooks' mother's maiden name--many families use a prominent middle name
>from grandparents in naming their children--what do you think?
>
>c) Do you have any more info on Susannah Brooks? The Brooks name is
>fairly well established in this area--I am surprised that a will or land
>records haven't surfaced giving us the answer.
>
>Last question: I am also researching Wells, especially:
>
>The family of Elizabeth Wells who married John Coons in Montgomery
>Co(prob Mt Sterling), on 19 Aug 1830. Her mother was Ann (_____) Wells
>and I do not have her father's name. Can you give me any suggestions as
>to where or who I might contact for pertinent info on the Wells family?
>
>Thank you very much for you consideration and help!
>
>--Ron Grabyan
>14 Morning Dew
>Irvine, California 92612
>(714) 854-2834

Sandra Eleanor [T.Y.L.E.R] D.U.N.C.A.N
SURNAMES & MAILING LISTS CAN BE SEEN AT:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/3577
I AM A PROUD "S P O N S O R" OF ROOTSWEB AS OF 11 SEP 1997
Support RootsWeb! Go "NOW" to: http://www.rootsweb.co

This thread: