DANIEL-L Archives

Archiver > DANIEL > 2003-01 > 1042901534

From: Jack V Butler <>
Subject: Re: [DANIEL-L] James and Elizabeth Woodson DANIEL of Goochland County,VA
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:52:14 -0500

I am not going to go into that whole argument again, since I feel that it
has been proven conclusively that James Daniel of Albemarle was, in simple
fact, James Daniel of Middlesex.

I will say, however, that there were at least three and probably four
totally different James Daniels in the records of Goochland, Cumberland and
Albemarle Counties, VA. Two of them were the James Daniel who, as you point
out, died in Goochland County in 1734 (Goochland County Court Orders: May
21, 1734. Ann Daniel appointed administratrix of James Daniel, deceased.
Sureties, Richard Parker and William Moseley.). He was the one whose wife
was likely Ann Parker, and who had sons James Daniel, Richard Daniel, and
William Daniel. And, yes, that family is the one who has the Woodsons all
over it. This line may or may not connect to the line of Roger Daniel - I
have seen nothing yet to say one way or another. If there is such evidence,
I would be interested in it.

The largest problem with comingling of the different Daniels in this area
seems to occur when folks want to insist that the James Daniel mentioned
immediately above (son of James who died 1734) is the same man as James
Daniel of Albemarle - they are not the same man.

This James Daniel (son of James who died in 1734) is the one who owned the
land on the Soak-arse branch of the Willis River. He is also the James
Daniel who was Sheriff of Goochland County (on July 17, 1740, James Daniel
of Soak-arse Creek was appointed Constable of Goochland, and I am
comfortable that this is the same James Daniel who became Sheriff of that
county in 1743). Apparently, Soak-arse Creek was in that part of Goochland
County that became Cumberland Co. A November 27, 1755, deed refers to
James Daniel and Elizabeth, his wife, as being "of Cumberland". In that
deed, James and Elizabeth Daniel sold to John Wayles, of Charles City
County, 96 acres "Where said James Daniel now lives". Throughout this
period, records of the other James Daniel consistently refer to him as James
Daniel of Albemarle.

Some time between 1755, James Daniel of Soak-arse creek appears to have
moved to Halifax County, VA. A January 31, 1757 Cumberland County deed,
made by James Daniel, "of Halifax", to William Routon of Cumberland, is for
"200 acres, lying on branches of Soak-arse run, adjoining William Woodson
and others, previously patented to Woodson and Daniel."
This search is complicated by the fact that James Daniel of Albemarle County
also bought land in Halifax County - actually, he bought the land in 1747,
when it was still in Lunenburg County. But he sold it in 1752, after that
part of Lunenburg had become Halifax - but in both deeds he was referred to
as "of Albemarle".

It also appears that James Daniel of Soak-arse and of Halifax was still
alive in Halifax County after James Daniel of Albemarle had died. An August
17, 1768, Halifax County, VA deed, records the sale of 400 acres on the
south side of the Bannister River, from Richard Echols to Richard :Daniel.
Witnesses were James and William Daniel.

Jack Butler