DANIEL-L Archives

Archiver > DANIEL > 2004-01 > 1074093960

From: "John R. Clarke" <>
Subject: Re: [DANIEL-L] Edgefield, SC List Posting
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:26:02 -0500

Robert,
It sure smells like "what I have" for the family of William Martin BUSH
RS-NC and Penelope LANE of Jones County, NC . Notice the Penelope LANE in
this family and remember that a Penelope LANE (1773-1846) is a name long
rumored to my the name of the wife of my Robert C. DANIEL (ABT 1765-AFT
1830) of Burke County, NC.

However, it is not that bit of information that caught my attention. It was
the RAIFORD information (below), as relates to these RAIFORD boys seeking
their share of the Estate of John RAIFORD. That really caught my attention.

LT. John RAIFORD RS-NC (ABT 1758-1812) of New Bern, Craven County, NC
married Lucy Rebecca SPELL, d/o Joseph. John died in Jefferson County, GA.
His kids are all over the MARSHALLS, who in turn seem to be close to my
DANIEL bunch since they are on wills, together. Notice also, the BUSHES and
BRYANS are all over each other and guess where they also came from -- New
Bern, Craven County, NC.

Another interesting name in this list is CROOM. I have an Eli McCROAN
listed on several very important DANIEL deeds in Jefferson County, GA and I
do not know who he was. Regardless, MAJ John CROOM (1722-1791) of Lenoir
County, NC married Susannah HARDEE, d/o Col. John H. HARDEE and Susannah
TYSON of Greenville, Pitt County, NC. Susannah was the d/o Samuel TYSON of
Beth County, NC. Do you want me to tell you how far Greenville is from
Pactolus, Pitt County, NC? About a sand wedge -- on a good day.

What I am seeing in a lot of this is -- they are marrying class and not as
much family but all of these families were close, I'm sure. Notice the
name, Phillip RAIFORD, in the chillen of LT. John RAIFORD and the Lucy
Rebecca SPELL. I think it is all the same bunch as your RAIFORDS over in
Edgefield, SC..... --- JC

<<<
Reported children of Col. William Martin BUSH (1755-1799) and Penelope LANE
(1758-1816) of Jones County, NC

i. William Martin Lane BUSH, Jr. b: 1 JUN 1781 in JONES CO NC Death: 1 JUN
1825 in JONES CO NC

ii. Levin Lane BUSH b: 1 JUN 1783 in JONES CO NC Death: 1 JUN 1810 in AT
SEA

iii. Penelope BUSH b: 1 JUN 1785 in JONES CO NC Marriage 1 Abraham CROOM ,
(DR.) b: 11 MAR 1782 in JONES CO NC Married: 1 JUN 1808 in JONES CO NC

iv. Elizabeth BUSH b: 1 JUN 1787 in JONES CO NC

v. Hardy BUSH Birth: 1 JUN 1789 in JONES CO NC Marriage 1 Sarah Ann CLARK
b: 1 JUN 1778 in CRAVEN CO NC Married: 1 OCT 1795 in CRAVEN CO NC

vi. Mary Magdalene BUSH b: 22 DEC 1790 in JONES CO NC Death: 2 JUN 1864 in
MARENGO CO AL Marriage 1 JAMES REYNOLDS BRYAN b: 1 JUN 1795 in JONES CO NC
Married: 1 JUN 1815 in JONES CO NC

vii. Lewis Bryan BUSH , (DR.) b: 23 MAR 1797 in JONES CO NC Marriage 1 Mary
Catherine WRIGHT b: 26 MAY 1805 in DUPLIN CO NC Married: 3 AUG 1822 in
DUPLIN CO NC Father: David WRIGHT b: 1 JUN 1780 in DUPLIN CO NC Mother:
Elizabeth CHAMBERLIN b: 1 JUN 1783 in DUPLIN CO NC

viii. Nathan Bryan BUSH b: 23 MAR 1799 in JONES CO NC Marriage 1 Mary R.
HARRISON b: 1 JUN 1798 in JONES CO NC Married: 2 JUN 1820 in JONES CO NC

<<<
THOMAS W., ROBERT, JAMES & MALACHI RAIFORD, Marshall Co., gave PA to their
uncle WILLIAM DANIEL, Edgefield Co., S.C. to collect their share from estate
of
JOHN C> RAIFORD, Edgefield Co., S.C. Mar 1846.

Children of LT John RAIFORD RS-NC (1758-1812) and Lucy Rebecca SPELL (ABt
1766-ABT 1810) of Jefferson County, GA:
<<<
Children
Alexander Gray RAIFORD b: 17 AUG 1787 in Louisville, Jefferson, Georgia
Marriage 1 Betty ___ Marriage 2 Eliza BATTEY b: Abt 1790 in Pb. Rhode Island
Married: 30 MAR 1819 in Providence, Providence, Rhode Island

Baldwin (Rev.) RAIFORD b: Abt 1788 in Jefferson Co., Georgia Marriage 1
Pheobe GROUT b: Abt 1785
Married: 2 DEC 1808 in Jefferson Co., Georgia

Temperance RAIFORD b: Abt 1792 in Georgia Marriage 1 Miles SCARBOROUGH
Married: 5 DEC 1808 in Jefferson Co., Georgia

Robert RAIFORD b: Abt 1796 in Georgia Death: 2 MAY 1857 in Savannah,
Chatham, Georgia

John S. RAIFORD b: Abt 1798 in Georgia Marriage 1 Rachel GREEN Married: 22
DEC 1813 in Jefferson Co., Georgia

Philip RAIFORD b: Abt 1800 in Georgia Death: 3 OCT 1820 in Savannah,
Chatham, Georgia

Sarah "Sallie" Crawford RAIFORD b: Abt 1802 in Jones Co., Georgia Marriage
1 Gideon BARNES b: 2 DEC 1791 in Southampton Co., Virginia Married: 2 APR
1823 in Jones Co., Georgia

Eliza H. RAIFORD b: Abt 1807 in Georgia Marriage 1 Leanders JENKINS
Married: 11 JAN 1825 in Wilcox Co., Alabama

John R. Clarke
Thomasville, GA