DANIEL-L Archives

Archiver > DANIEL > 2004-05 > 1084800164

From: "John R. Clarke" <>
Subject: Re: [DANIEL-L] Hulda Daniel, Delilah Daniel, Stephen, Robert, Asa,N. Daniel, Greene County, NC
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 09:22:44 -0400

Vickie,
A lot of things interest me in all of this information, a lot of which I
already knew and had in my files. The obit of Huldah SMOCK is below.
However, that Robert CALDWELL caught my attention because the CALDWELLS were
tied to the SPIERS of Jefferson County, GA and her ancestor was a Robert
CALDWELL and they were from MD, the same location that Huldah SMOCK was
from - Somerset County, MD.
I cannot be 100% sure that Stephen Parker DANIEL, Huldah's husband, was
most list as a son of Elijah DANIEL (1726-AFT 1800), who they also list as a
son of Simon DANIEL and Elizabeth ROGERS but that is what most folks carry.
However, the PARKERS are tied to my LANE and I generally think my DANIEL may
have come from this DANIEL or DANIELL line, somewhere, although DNA will
have to confirm my thoughts on this.

The Delilah DANIEL listed in these documents may be the Delilah who was the
d/o Joseph DANIEL and Sarah BARNES and Joseph was supposedly Elijah's
brother. However, I think there is a lot of cobbling and commingling of
this whole Simon DANIEL and Elizabeth ROGERS line and we may not ever know
which child was a son or daughter of which one of Simon's kids. We are not
even sure whether, Simon was Simon I or Simon II. We also do not know if
Robert DANIEL (ABT 1718-AFT 1782) who married Mary SWAIN was their son or
not, even though most list his as a son of Simon and Elizabeth.

There is just a lot of questions on this DANIEL or DANIELL family, not so
much that they were not descendants of Simon and Elizabeth, but which child
was a son or daughter of which one of their children.

What we do know from this obit is that Huldah SMOCK (1782-1868) married,
twice, first to Stephen Parker DANIEL who died 28 Mar 1840 and second in Feb
1841 to his brother, David DANIEL who died in 1854. No specific locations
were listed for where Stephen (1774-1840) or David (ABT 1775-1854) died.
My information indicates that both Stephen and David were born in Edgecombe
County, NC.

<<<
Huldah Smock, daughter of John Smock and Lear (Smock), was born in
Somerset Co., Md. December 1782. Huldah died 8 January 1858 Wilson
Co, NC, at 75 years of age. . She married twice. She married Stephen
Daniel 15 July 1800. Stephen was born 26 October 1774. Stephen died
28 March 1840 at 65 years of age. She married David Daniel February
1841. . Obit sent by Elder Vince Hardy. OBITUARY . Bro.
Temple:--Another mother in Israel has fallen asleep in the arms of
Jesus, as we hope! I send you for publication the obituary of sister
HULDAH DANIL, who departed this life in the County of Wilson, N. C.,
the 8th of January last.--Aged 77 years. . Sister Daniel was born in
Summerset County, Maryland, some time in December, 1781. Her maiden
name was Smock, the daughter of John and Lear Smock. She was married
July 15, 1800, to Stephen Daniel, by whom she had eleven children, six
of which are now living--four sons and two daughters. Mr. Stephen
Daniel died some time in the Spring of 1840, and she married the
second time, sometime in February, 1841, to David Daniel, brother to
Stephen Daniel; and he died the 16th of July, 1854. She joined the
Primitive Baptist Church at White Oak M. H., on confession of her
faith, Friday before the first Lord's day in August, 1832, which was
the first conference held at that church after it was constituted, and
was baptized by Elder Ichabod Moore. Therefore we can say that the
mother of our church is gone. Her disease was the Palsy. She had been
afflicted for several years before her death. After the death of her
second husband, she broke up housekeeping and lived with her children.
She bore her affliction with christian fortitude, and said, a few days
before she died that, if it was the Lord's will to take her, that she
felt willing to go. She died in the full triumphs of faith of a
blessed immortality beyond the grave without any struggle and like one
going to sleep. She was always true to her church meeting when not
Providentially prevented; and her house was always a welcome assylum
for the wayfaring man. She was an affectionate wife, good mother, kind
mistress and neighbor.--She lived to see four of her children join the
Baptist Church--three sons and on daughter: one of them, brother John
H. Daniel, has been standing upon the walls of Zion for upwards of
twenty years, ably proclaiming the joyful news of a crucified and
risen Redeemer, to a perishing world of sinners, and feeding the flock
of God which Jesus purchased with his own blood. She has left a large
number of friends and acquaintances, with her children, grand-children
and the church, to mourn their loss! But we mourn not as those who
have no hope. "Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from
henceforth: yea, saith the Spirit: that they may rest from their
labors, and their works do follow them." . W. O. . (From "The
Primitive Baptist", June 12, 1858, p 173-4)

John R. Clarke
Thomasville, GA