DAY-L Archives

Archiver > DAY > 2006-04 > 1144525649

From: Nick Sheedy <>
Subject: Re: [DAY] Ambrose Day family report, part 3b
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:47:29 -0700 (PDT)

Terry,

To answer your question, I have no line on the
ancestors of Ambrose Day (b. say in the 1740s, and d.
abt. 1780s) who married Winifred ---- and lived in
Bromfield Parish, Culpeper Co., VA (now probably in
present-day Madison Co., VA).

I have some leads and additional research. I took a
10-week, 12,000 mile cross-country trip in the fall of
2004. I spent just over a week at the Library of
Virginia and copied and transcribed EVERYTHING I could
on people named Day in Virginia prior to 1800. I am
sure that I missed a few counties, and so many records
were lost in disasters and during the War Between the
States that lots of searches are hit and miss.

As for the name Ambrose Day, I found a man of this
name in the 1720s in Charles City Co., VA. There was
apparently a later Ambrose Day from Charles City Co.
who served in the American War for Independence and
died (or at least did not return); he had a sister
named Nancy and a nephew named William Day.

The name Ambrose Day shows up in Caroline Co., VA in
the 1730s. By the mid 1730s, one Ambrose Day had
died, but shortly after, there is mention of another
man named Ambrose Day who was living.

I have found a few records of men named Ambrose Day in
Fauquier, King George, King William, New Kent, Orange
and Stafford counties.

One Amry day (sometimes trancribed "Amey" in published
records also sows up in Hampshire CO., VA (now WV) in
the last 1790s and ealry 1800s.

I SUSPECT that the Ambrose and Winifred Day family is
some relation to one Francis Day who married a woman
named Mary and lived in Stafford and King George
counties in the 1730s-1770s. Thier children were born
in Overwharton Parrish, Stafford Co., VA. This
Francis and some of his children at least moved to
Culpeper Co. about 1772 and died there before 19
August 1779.

There were other men named Francis Day in Virginia,
some in the 1600s and others in the 1700s and 1800s.
One Francis Day married Elizabeth (Hanor) Holtzclaw
(widow of Harmon Holtzclaw, son of Jacob Holtzclaw of
Germanna Colony fame). Francis Day married Elizabeth
Holtzclaw abt. 1761 and they had sons named Haner
("Hanor"), Lewis and probably William and Thomas.
Lewis Day was born in or around Fredericksburg, Va. in
1779, but went to North Carolina in 1799.

I also suspect that these families are related somehow
to the John Day who married Behethland Bowling 23
February 1748/49 in St. Paul's Parish, Stafford (now
King George) Co., VA. These folks and thier children
seem to have ended up in the Carolinas.

There was another John Day who died in 1799 in
Fredericksburg, VA. The Virginia Herald published an
obituary that John Day, a tailor, died at an advanced
age on March 8, 1799. (I have not obtained a full
transcript of this obituary yet.)

There was also a man named Samuel Day who apparently
lived in VA, NC and back to VA (now WV) and then to
Ross CO., OH. He served in tha American Revolution
and there is a published account of him in a Ross Co.,
OH book that claims that he was a brother to the John
Day who went west (son of Ambrose and Winifred); I
rather doubt this claim, but if some relationship did
exist, it would be interesting to trace... I believe
that this Samuel is often said to have been a son of
Leonard and Tabitha (Barker) Day and come originally
from MD... It is confusing why his biographical sketch
would claim a connection to the Oregon John Day if it
was not the case.

Given certain names and certain migration patterns, I
SUSPECT (BUT DON"T HAVE ANY FIRM EVIDENCE) that the
Ambrose Day of Bromfield Parish, Culpeper Co. is a
descendant of John and Elizabeth (Mason) Day who
arrived in Virginia in 1620 and lived at Martin's
Hundred and then Hogg Island in the James River.

QUESTION FOR THE LIST:

HAS ANY MALE WHO HAS A FIRM LINNEAGE FROM JOHN AND
ELIZABETH (MASON) DAY (VIRGINIA IMMIGRANTS OF 1620)
SUBMITTED THEIR DNA OR PARTICIPATED IN THE DAY DNA
PROJECT ?????

I hope that this is helpful.

I welcome correspondence and appreciate any
suggestions.

--Nick Sheedy,
John Day, Oregon