DE-OLDSWEDES-L Archives

Archiver > DE-OLDSWEDES > 2000-08 > 0965654887

Subject: [DE-OLDSWEDES] SKUTE,RAMBO,ANDERSSON & name customs (please correct if in error)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:28:07 EDT

Hi BARBARA and MYRA (are we cousins or can one of you straighten this out?)

ALSO THANK you Myra for the good URLS!

I am (among others, some of whom are on this e-mail list) a descendant of
CAPT SVEN SKUTE (1623-1665)whose daughter MAGDELENA married PETER RAMBO (b 17
June 1653 Kinsessing, New Sweden) Was this an earlier PETER RAMBO? ALSO I
have a note that BRITTA MANSDOTTER ANDERSON (daughter of MANS ANDERSON )
married JOHAN GUSTAFSSON by or before 1654.

BTW These names show the Swedish custom which turned out to be short
lived, I believe (in this country anyhow) of giving sons a middle name made
up of their father's firstname followed by -son and the surname. The same
held true for daughters: ie. BRITTA MANSDOTTER ANDERSON was the daughter of
MANS ANDERSON. (I have no idea whether HE had a middle name or not.NOR do I
know that about my ancestor, below.)

My ancestor, CAPT SVEN SKUTE married ANNA GUSTAFSSON, daughter of JOHAN
GUSTAFSSON and BRITTA MANSDOTTER ANDERSSON. How is that for confusion?

I could have some of the above statement wrong re: the naming custom and
would appreciate someone correcting these comments if I have it wrong in some
way.

Thanks,

Carole
Caroline Burnett Cook