DEED-MAPPER-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > DEED-MAPPER-USERS > 2005-03 > 1111523266

From: David Dennis <>
Subject: Re: DEED-MAPPER-USERS-D Digest V05 #22
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:27:46 -0800 (PST)

At least free base data appear to be readily
availible at the following link.
http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/clf/en

It seems almost everywhere
everyone down to towns are doing something with
GIS. Maybe she look for local help to get pointed in
the right direction. I had tried for years off and on
and always gave up out of frustration. Just wading
through all the acronims was almost impossible. One
night class with Rick and Mary was all I needed to get
started. The hands on experience made a world of
difference.
--- wrote:

> DEED-MAPPER-USERS-D DigestVolume 05 : Issue 22
>
> Today's Topics:
> #1 Digital mapping questions ["M. M.
> Bell" <]
> #2 Re: [DMU] Digital mapping question [James F
> McConnell <]
>
> ______________________________> Date: Mon, 21 Mar
2005 23:51:07 -0600
> From: "M. M. Bell" <>
> Subject: Digital mapping questions
>
> I received an email from a researcher in Nova Scotia
> and I'd like to get the
> opinion of the list on her questions!
>
> Here is a portion of her email:
>
> >do you know if there are automated Mapping Systems
> of any sort that can
> take, say, a digitized map,
> scale it
> > to what is needed with accuracy, as well as be
> transparent? Or am I faced
> > with having to provide all the details I need,
> basically from scratch, as
> > one would for Land Platting, or I assume that is
> the case?
> >
> > A rather quick search on the Internet brought up
> such databases and ideas
> as
> > Taxation and Environmental Systems where they are
> basically starting from
> > scratch, and building their information base upon
> it, using GPS (Global
> > Positioning System) at times, and other ideas
> including aerial
> photography+
> > sensing techniques for roads, terrain, buried
> matter, etc. but very
> > specialized and I would guess, extremely
> expensive. Of course, those
> > systems are based on topography, geography, etc.
> of today.
> >
> > We are dealing with historical layouts and often
> older maps, if we are
> lucky
> > enough to locate reasonably accurate ones. Now,
> one can redefine
> everything
> > to an automated system, perhaps using GPS,
> possibly even be able to trace
> > maps boundaries using a tablet (or some such
> technique) to enter into the
> > system but it would not likely be to the
> accuracy desired.
> >
> > Are you aware of any software out there that
> might possibly aid in this
> > endeavor? That is, short of starting from scratch
> with something like
> CAD?
>
> I recommended that she try the digital grove web
> site and read about the
> various programs and viewers. Also told her I had
> never had a lot of luck
> getting layers together--especially when I wanted to
> overlay them on a plat.
> I have used 3DEM and love it, but still have trouble
> getting a plat drawn on
> it. Doesn't sound like she wants to do platting as
> much as using older maps.
>
> This needs a more experienced and knowledgeable GIS
> person than myself to go
> into any detail!! I will appreciate any and all
>
> Sincerely,
> Mary McCampbell Bell, CLS
> --
> Date: 3/11/2005