DEED-MAPPER-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > DEED-MAPPER-USERS > 2005-03 > 1111549043

From: "rick" <>
Subject: RE: [DMU] Re: DEED-MAPPER-USERS-D Digest V05 #22
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:37:23 -0500

I think Dennis raises a good point - a lot of this is either experimentation
or a heavy investment in learning a professional GIS program. I second
Mary's suggestions, as I also am far from an expert on geo-referencing.
Some tools on digital grove map help and many are free (except for the time
to learn the program).

First, I suggest we look at David Rumsey's web site. He has a professional
implementation of geo referencing historical maps to current maps. He
started with Lewis and Clark and branched out to San Francisco, New York and
others. His interface is a GIS browser. I suggest you read his article
"Historical Maps in GIS" which is a PDF download on the site.
He has done some absolutely amazing things - but he also has amazing
resources.

I have had some luck with rough alignment of historical maps just using
PowerPoint to overlay historical maps on current topos. The trick is to
find a reference point. You can shrink and expand and maintain the aspect
ratio. A purist would be aghast at this, but it allowed me to locate a
meets and bound survey in PA with some precision. I have not figured out
how to make my layers transparent, but this is a feature of many GIS
programs. I also discoverd that the townships boundaries on the 1903 USGS
15 minute were significantly off from a current topo. If you are lucky to
have significant terrain features you can do a pretty good job of lining up
the maps.

Well that's my view - some day I am going to take a course on a full
featured GIS program (g)

Rick