DEED-MAPPER-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > DEED-MAPPER-USERS > 2006-04 > 1143908129

From: "Renee" <>
Subject: Re: [DMU] NC-Wake Co Early Land Grants
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 10:15:29 -0600

I am working on Chatham County, next to Wake. The Chatham County Register
of Deeds Office will send you copies of deeds for .25 per page but you can't
just request copies of land grants, you have to order by name. I've been
told how-ever that Wake County will not do that, but that they have copies
of the grants. I paid someone to copy a few at the NC Archives and they are
of such poor quality that I can barely make them out.

I have considered ordering the films from the NC Archives which are the
surveyors copy. The films are $10 or $12 but I don't know if they have them
microfilmed by county, I don't believe they are. I do know they won't be
copying any microfilm again until May as they moved their equipment to
another part of the archives.

You could email Larry Odzak at the archives, and he
can tell you if they are microfilmed by county.

I also know that some library systems in NC have copied the Land Grants for
their county, and have them either on microfilm or just loose copies at the
libraries. Some will copy them for a very small fee.

Renee