DEED-MAPPER-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > DEED-MAPPER-USERS > 2008-01 > 1199559087

From: "Dennis Dover" <>
Subject: [DMU] Using Aerial Maps for plat presentation
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:51:27 -0800

I discovered a way to show or present a series of contiguous plats that can
be verified for location that I'll share that involves using Google aerial
maps of your location of interest.

1. Locate your properties at Google Earth. Save the Google aerial from
Google at the scale of +/- 4,592 feet in the status bar. This zooming goal
should match the 1:24,000 scale of the USGS base map when you have decided
on the area you want the map to cover. The scale changes as you shift the
Google coverage. Print the saved aerial at it's true scale (that's
important). You may have to crop the saved image for a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet.

2. Print your DeedMapper boundary surveys on transparency sheets. Which type
of transparency sheet is important for quick dry/no smear. I use 3M
transparency film CG3460.

3. Trim the individual plats and tape them (slim pieces) to the Google
Aerial printout with, I recommend, Scotch Gloss Finish MultiTask Tape. The
least "show through" when step #4 is done.

4. Scan #3 as a new image.

My first goal with DeedMapper was to identify parcels of land in the
1772-1800ish time period for a first ownership for what was known as Kings
Creek in the old Craven/Camden/York area of South Carolina. There was a
state boundary dispute that included this area in various counties in both
North Carolina and South Carolina when my focus was the Grover, North
Carolina USGS map that shows both sides of the current state lines. It was a
historic area during the Revolution at Kings Mountain National Military Park
that now includes several more recent historical monuments on both sides of
the NC/SC state line.

DeedMappers base USGS maps are fine except that the latest USGS maps
(Grover, NC in this case) now show more landmark detail and historical
monuments. I was able to use the current USGS map with more detail and
repeat steps #2-#4 by scanning the newer USGS map as the base sheet for the
boundary surveys.

I love maps, especially old ones. It wasn't clear at the time, but seeing is
believing when the location fog clears. I was speechless. The hard part is
finding the deeds. A small irony is that a 1854 deed triangulated three
points, one a recent historical monument, on the 1772 deed that was
"finally" found recently that included the future chain of title.

This thread: