DEED-MAPPER-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > DEED-MAPPER-USERS > 2008-01 > 1199598565

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [DMU] DEED-MAPPER-USERS Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 00:49:25 -0500

Gordon Taylor wrote:
>You make the remark about using the original surveyor's note to verify
>calls. Is there a place, aside from the governmental archives that would
>contain the field notes by a private surveyor, especially from the 1700's? I
>often wondered about the disposition of ancient filed books; they must be
>full of wonderful information, if decipherable.

I do not know of any such archives of surveyor's records. At one
time I was able to review the notes of one surveyor. At the time, I
was looking for info on a family and hoped to find something in the
notes and otherwise didn't pay a lot of attention to anything else
than the family I was researching. Now I wish I had a full copy.

There may be some that have been saved in various historical
societies or even local courthouses (courthouses sometimes have the
strangest kinds of records). More often, I think such notes were
thrown out when the surveyor died. Basically, I think you just have
to be lucky.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;