DEED-MAPPER-USERS-L Archives

Archiver > DEED-MAPPER-USERS > 2011-01 > 1295544677

From: Leah Sims <>
Subject: Re: [DMU] Use of adjacent USGS Quads for Background Maps: novicequestion
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:31:17 -0600

I am also ready to start using background maps, but am still working on the
logistics.

I recently found TOPO! National Geographic USGS Topographic Maps on Amazon.

The product description says:
"TOPO! State Series takes the hassle out of finding detailed maps for your
next outdoor adventure. Each title contains thousands of high-resolution
scans of authentic USGS 7.5' topographic maps. All maps are seamless, and
easily printed from your home printer. Add trails, notes, symbols, photos
and more with the easy-to-use map creation tools. A 3D mode enables you to
preview your route and tour the landscape. Tell your GPS where to go, or
download where you've been, with TOPO!s intuitive GPS import/export tool
which is compatible with most devices from Garmin, Magellan and more. Take
the guess work out of trip planning and calculate true terrain distances and
view detailed elevation profiles. TOPO! State Series is available for all 50
U.S States and is both Mac and PC compatible."

There is also a website (https://www.topo.com/about/topo) with a free
desktop program. You pay to download "superquads" to use with the program to
create a map.

You can get a state or set of states for about $50 and a superquad for a
dollar.

Has anyone ever tried using this program to make background maps for
DeedMapper?

Leah

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:32 AM, ThrelkeldStein <
> wrote:

> I have used DeedMapper on and off (more "off," I confess) for several
> years, but have never used background maps. I want to do that now, but I
> find both the Help instructions and the mailing list discussions above my
> pay grade for this issue.
>
> In the particular project I'm working on, I know the property locations on
> the USGS maps with near proximity. However, the various plots cover two
> quadrangles (North Middletown and Sharpsburg in Kentucky in this case).
>
> I have downloaded both maps from libremap.org.
>
> Is it possible to put the two quads (or portions thereof) together to form
> one background map for a particular deed file? I heard somewhere that Adobe
> Photoshop could be used, but I have no clue how. Would appreciate any help
> to get me started, if in fact such a map 'merger' can be done. Thanks.
> Vernon Threlkeld (using vs. 4.1)

This thread: