DEKENT-L Archives

Archiver > DEKENT > 2006-07 > 1152456006

Subject: Re: COLESCOTT PRIOR TO 1805
Date: 9 Jul 2006 08:40:06 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/2Y.2ADI/134.1.1.1.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Sorry, the Thomas Cain who married Celia Steelman was not the son of Thomas and Eleanor Forcum. . The Steelmans and Thomas Cain were in Surry Co., NC by 1793 when Mathias Steelman died, naming her, Celia Cain, in his will. Thomas Cain is in Rowan Co., NC (right next to Surry Co) and are on the 1790 census.

Daniel Cain died Dec 1747 in Kent Co., DE. His will names his cousin, Franssus Cain; wife Elener; Dennes (no familial designation); son Thomas and Dau Ann.

His son, Thomas, Sr. was b. ca 1730, md Catherine Forcum on Jul 27, 1753 in Kent Co., DE. (Source: Delaware Marriage Records, Dover, DE) He married (2) Frances Bishop on Jun 12, 1794 (Source: Nicholite Marriage Records)

Thomas, Sr., made his will in May 1794 and it went to probate in Jan 1795, Caroline Co., MD. His heirs were, wife Frances; sons Thomas and William and the six youngest children of (deceased) son, John; and Els Andrew.

Thomas, Jr. was b. ca 1754; md Eunice Hubbard. He made his will out on Oct 17, 1799 and it went to probate Nov 15, 1799 in Kent Co., DE. His heirs were 'sones Dannel Cane and John Cane, wife unncy; grandson Tilghman Brown, son of Nance Brown and Rody Cane.

On Nov 15, when this went to probate, Unicy and Daniel Cain were named executors. Eunice, Daniel and Ralph Colscott posted three hundred pounds 'current money' as bondspersons.

In 1804, disposition was made by Daniel and Eunice: to the widow, Nancy Brown, Tilmon Brown, Daniel Cane , John Cane and Rhoda Cain, "to cash paid to Ralf Colscott'.

So, your Thomas Cain was already in NC by 1795 when Thomas, Sr. died. Your Thomas' son, Daniel was in NC when Thomas Jr.'s estate was settled by his son Daniel.

Several people over the years have tied your Thomas to the Thomas who died in 1795, but locations prove different. I have no doubt that your Thomas was a member of the family, but can't tie him in. I have several wills from that time frame, but no others mention a Thomas. I is probable that your Thomas received his inheritance from his father before moving to NC, then he wouldn't be named in the will. This happened quite often in those days.

The Nicolites that are mentioned above were a religious sect similar to the Quakers, only stricter. I find that some of the Nicolites started migrating to Guilford Co., NC about 1770. Guilford was right next to Surry. You might see if you can find any records of them in NC. If the Nicolites were so strict, perhaps the Canes moved to the Quaker church.

Now, I found these two queries online, the first mentions Quakers. You might see if you can contact the posters and see if they have any information for you.

Wish I could have helped more.

Pat

Date: 6 Aug 2003 09:42:33 -0600
Message Board URL:
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/XOH.2ACIB/1569.1580.1

Diane,
I have been searching this line too and have found some interesting info, I do not know how it may all fit these Cains are a bear!
William and Benjamin Cain md Hannah and Rebeccah Stanfield in Surry NC in 1790's, they were dau of John Stanfiled and Phillipina Jones, they were in Guilford NC for a short time as there are records for them there in Cane Creek MM Quaker Church. John Stanfield died in Cumberland CO Ky and names his daughters as Cains in his will. Wm and Benjamin are in CC Ky in 1810 census, by 1820 Benjamin is gone but Thomas and Rhoda Cain are there. By 1830 Thomas and a younger William Are there. WIlliam (older) and Rhoda are gone.
Benjamin Cain likely went to Warren Co TN and 2 of Williams sons went with him John and Robert B. Benjamin is there 1820 census as well as a James Cain, James served War of 1812 as a 2nd Major in Warren Tn Regiment.
Back to CC Ky Thomas son of William md Margaret Claywell and they moved to Scott Ill, he died by 1833, his sister Lucinda md Joel Claywell and they too went to Scott Ill, Joel and Margaret Claywell were siblings: children of Shadrack Claywell and Amelia Rush.
So by 1840 all of the original Cain famiies were gone from CC Ky.
I found a marriage record for a Mathias Cain marrying a Rhoda Goodman in Bedford Va in 1794 surety John Goodman she was dau of Bartlett(Bartholomew) Goodman.
Interesting to note is that in 1840 Scott CO ILL is a Bartlett Cain that moved there from McMinnville Warren Co Tn, at first he seemed unrelated although interesting he had son Benjamin C and William Bartlett: until I found the record for Matthias marrying the Goodman girl. I can't figure out how Bedford Va gfits in as this line of Cains seem to skip Va altogether and jumped right down to NC. There is a John Goodman in CC Ky in 1820 and 1830 same pg as Thomas Cain, 7 houses away.
I do not know if he is related.
I do not know the names of any of Benjamins Children, I saw you had Mathias as one who md Sarah Haney in Muhlenburg in 1833.
I really think that the Thomas Cain Celia Steelman Cain list is incomplete, don'y you?
In Guilford Co NC was a Russell Cain also he md a Jane Endsley. Also a Sarah Cain who md 1783 to Morris Davis, Hannah Cain md John Endsleyin 1773. Someone has Hannah who md Morris Davis settling in Green OH and Temperance md Lewis Bingamon there too and settling in Green OH, of course that is where the some of the Cains out of Augusta and Montgomery Va settled.
So the more I learn the more confused I get.
I hope I didn't confuse you,
Get in touch,
Nancy

Name: CAIN, Thomas Jonathan