DENDY-L Archives

Archiver > DENDY > 1998-02 > 0886439801

From: "B. J. May" <>
Subject: Re: [DENDY-L] Dendy family of Randy DeCuir
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 11:16:41 -0600

by way of
() by way of wrote:

> Here is my line, and i am anxious to correspond with anyone who is from
> this union parish, Louisiana branch of Dendys:
>
> Alse Elizabeth Dendy
> 1837-1905
>
> Alse Elizabeth Dendy (1837-1905) is a great-great grandmother of
> Randy DeCuir of Marksville, La., who compiled this sketch.
> Alse E. Dendy Parish was born Dec. 28, 1837. Elizabeth Dendy
> married at Union Parish, La. August 16, 1855 to J. O. Parish.
> The 1870 census lists James Parish, age 40, native of Alabama,
> living in Ward Four of Union Parish, Louisiana. He was noted as a farmer,
> with $500 of real estate and $200 of personal property. He and his wife,
> Elizabeth Dendy, age 32, native of Alabama, had three children living in
> the home with them at the time: Robert, 12; Malne, 9; and Gallie, 3.
>
> Census records place Alse Elizabeth Dendy as follows:
> YEAR PARISH NAME AGE SEX NAT. OCCUPATION RELATION
> 1860 Union S. E. Dendy 20 f Ala.
> housekeeper (father)
> 1870 Union Elizabeth Parish 32 f Ala. 3
> children (wife)
> 1880 Union E. A. Parish 42 f Ala.
> Keeps house (wife)
>
> Alsie Elizabeth Dendy Parish died Aug. 24, 1905. Her gravestone is
> marked: "Alse E." Dendy, wife of J. O. Parish. Her widowed husband lived
> until his death Nov. 14, 1910. Their graves lies in Pisgah cemetery in
> Union Parish, just north of the town of Bernice, La.
> Also buried in Pisgah Cemetery in Union Parish are several children
> of Dr. & Mrs. J. L. Dendy. Perhaps there is information on him in library
> in Union or bio.
>
> The ancestors of Elizabeth Dendy Parish
> In 1879, James O Parish, husband of Alse E. Dendy, purchased
> properties at Union Parish from the estate of Martha A. Dendy, widow of
> Thomas P. Dendy.
> In the 1880 census, the native state of the father of E. A. Parish
> is listed as North Carolina. However, in census records of Thomas P. Dendy
> who we believe may be her father, he is recorded as a being from South
> Carolina.
> The 1840 census of Alabama lists Thomas P. Dendy as a resident of
> Lown. County. He is listed on page 241. This is consistant with the
> birthplaces of Dendy's children as noted in the 1860 census. The only other
> Dendy family in Alabama in 1840 was that of James H. Dendy who lived in
> Mont. County.
>
> The 1860 census, Union Parish, Louisiana:
> NAME AGE SEX NATIVE OCCUPATION
> Dendy, Thomas P. 49 m S.C. farmer, $800 real
> estate; $400 pers.prop.
> M. A. 40 f Ala. housekeeper
> S. E. 20 f Ala housekeeper
> P. P. 18 f Ala. housekeeper
> H. T. 16 m Ga. farmer
> E. A. 13 f Ga.
> M. C. 12 f Miss.
> M. L. 7 f Miss
> L. E. 4 f Miss.
> L. S. 3 m La.
> Michaux, E. 17 f Ala. teacher of common school
>
> DATES IN LIFE OF THOMAS P. DENDY:
> [...]

B. J. May wrote:

Thanks a lot for your reply. I already have in my collection of Dendy
genealogy the names of Alsie Dendy and her family. This means that you
and I are related somehow. Our common ancestors are William Dendy and
his wife Clary Cargill. My computer program says that I am related to
Alsie E. Dendy as a 2nd cousin, 4 generations removed. My line is via
John Dendy, 1st child of William, Born 13 May 1764 in Laurens Co., SC.
You are a descendant of Thomas C. Dendy, 6th child of William Dendy,
born 2 May 1775 in Laurens Co., SC. I would like to include all the
descendants of Alsie E. Dendy in my collection of Dendys including you
and your descendants if this is acceptable to you. I will keep in
touch. Thanks again cousin. BJM

This thread: