DENMARK-L Archives

Archiver > DENMARK > 2000-11 > 0973587591

From: "Jens Finderup" <>
Subject: Re: [DK] Ly og Styr
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:59:51 +0100

Port in Danish is bagbord. Probably because the styrmand, handling the
steering oar on the right side, would be leaning his bag (= back, or rather
the lower part of it) on the left board.

Larboard could originate from laar + bord. Laar is Danish for thigh, which
is connected to the bag.

Med venlig hilsen,
Jens Finderup