DENMARK-L Archives

Archiver > DENMARK > 2002-03 > 1015697767

From: "Ian Westergaard" <>
Subject: Re: [DK] Name Harrison (England) - Danish 'son-of' Harry'?
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 07:16:07 +1300

Hi Rock

There are plenty of place names in Scotland & England which are evidence of
the invasion and settlement of Britain by the "Norse", but that does not
mean all place names which are Norse sounding are of Norse origin. Britain
was invaded many times by many different tribes from Northern Europe, not
all of them were Norse.

I was not dismissing the idea of Scandinavian influence in the origin of the
patronymic name with the suffix "son". I was saying that the suffix "son"
did not necessarily indicate the origin of the name was Scandinavian. eg
"Smithson".

After all what is the origin of the word "son" and it's variants. My
dictionary gives seven different languages which use it including Sanskrit
"sunu" = son and "sute" = he begets.

I was also trying to make the point, which you have so ably amplified, that
patronymic naming customs were not confined to Scandinavia. Many people
starting on Scandinavian genealogy come across patronymic names for the
first time and because the system is so universal and well defined assume
that it is unique to Scandinavia.

In genealogy it is dangerous to assume anything.

Ian Westergaard
In Cloudy & Mild Central Otago
New Zealand