DENMARK-L Archives

Archiver > DENMARK > 2003-08 > 1060566738

From: Brokan <>
Subject: Re: [DK] (Bankbud to V.I.P.) * VICTOR BORGE!!*
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:52:18 +1000

Jan,
I've been trying to find a **"Visbæk"** and did find one, but
it is a fictional place in a big Danish period novel,
"Kaaregaarden"
by Anna Koch Schiøler (1867-1963) born 9 April 1867
in Vejle Amt (county)

The novel was written in 1925 and tells about life in a group
of Danish faming communities in the mid 1800!

There several place/community names in this story such as
Visbæk, Skællinge, Røbæk, Egebjerg and so on. While these
names are fictional - one can wonder if the author didn't use old
locality names a for her story?
You mentioned Viborg - and
the author vas born in Vejle Amt.
Vejle and Viborg Amts are/were very similar country type
counties in Jylland (Jutland) of the type used in the book.
(I have lived in Smidstrup in Vejle Amt)
Parish/place names used in the book - such as the one's I mentioned
- appears so very similar the parish names in the two counties. I
would think she usede hybrids of real names from her native
home area! Visbæk looks/sounds very much like a name from
that area!

I did speculate that Anders could have used "Visbæk", to avoid
revealing his real place of residence/birth in Denmark, but the book
was written in 1925 or after the records you have, were made!

Locality/parish names in Denmark are not my "knowledge" side,
but I've been through virtually all parish names Jylland (to me the
most likely area of Denmark)- and all in both Vejle (her birth county)
and Viborg amts without finding a "Visbæk"!

Perhaps someone else have more information on this?

cheers from
Cai.-- the banana bender