DENMARK-L Archives

Archiver > DENMARK > 2006-02 > 1139458496

From: "Lauraine Syrnick" <>
Subject: Re: [DK] HARMSEN, Christine "Justina" abt 1745 - in Schelswig!
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 22:15:01 -0600

Cai:

Yes, I did find it in Germany. I only speak English & saw something with
Dansk so......probably when it was a duchy.

It is very difficult for me to find thing in continental Europe - my lack of
any langage but English (?) increases the difficulty. Part of the
difficulty is the unfamiliarity of Parishes, etc. I had a difficult time in
Scotland until I got a list of all the old Parishes. Not saying its easy
now, but making a bit more sense.

In school, we learned about countries, not Parishes, counties, shires,
duchies, districts, and districts in foreign lands. One set of my G.
Grandparents came from Arbroath, Scotland - had no idea that was in the
Province of Angus & used to be called Forfarshire. Only searching about and
asking lots of questions gave me that wee bit of info. The place names and
being unfamiliar with them and their spelling increases difficulties. Some
of my school history was censored; no doubt for political reasons & WW 2. I
am just so grateful when anyone helps me out. I try to reciprocate with the
wee bit of info known in Canada. Thx all.

Lauraine