DENNEY-L Archives

Archiver > DENNEY > 1997-12 > 0882524204

From: MR WILLIAM L DENNEY< >
Subject: William Hooper, Albemarle, Co., VA 1750
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:36:44, -0500

-- [ From: Bill Denney * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

All,
I recently ran across a deed in Albemarle County, VA dated 14 August,
1750 where a William and Martha HOOPER purchased 250 acres of land
(located in St. Ann's Parish in Albemarle County) from a Hardin BURNLEY
of Hanover County, VA for twenty pounds. Witnesses were William CABELL,
Jr., Jeremiah WHITE, and Allen ADDISON.
Does anyone recognize this William Hooper? He is now a prime
candidate for father of my Rebecca Hooper, b ca 1750, and who married my
4th GGF William Denny (son of Samuel Denny, b ca 1722). Note that Wm.
Cabell, Jr. witnessed this deed; a Wm. Cabell later performed a survey
for my William Denny on 14 Dec., 1765, in Amherst County, VA.
I suspect Wm. Hooper may have moved to North Carolina and is one of
the following Wm. Hoopers found in the 1790 NC census:

William Hooper--1 white male, 10 slaves. Wilmington District. New
Hanover Co.
William Hooper--1 male over 16, 1 male under sixteen, 1 female.
Morgan District, Wilkes Co.
William Hooper--No information--Hillsboro Dist., Orange Co.

I suspect William Hooper (the first-mentioned above) was perhaps tied
to some of the following Hoopers (Data furnished by Mary E. Denney. It
appears that at least this group of Hoopers had their roots in the same
county as the Suddarths; i.e., Stafford Co., VA and before that, most
likely Northumberland County):

From "Deed and Will Abstracts of Stafford County, VA 1699-1709" by Ruth
and Sam Sparacio:

1702, William Allen sold to John Hooper of Northumberland Co.
1702, Thomas Hooper is a witness in the sale of land from Edmond
Hinson to Ralph Carter.

Bill D. Note: The HINSON reference immediately above could indicate a
tie to the Northumberland Dennys...

From "Will Abstracts of Stafford Co., VA 1710-1728" (same authors):

1712, Thomas Hooper is mentioned as a surveyor
1719, Capt. Hooper re: estate of Benjamin Newton

From "Will Abstracts of Stafford Co., VA 1729-1748" (same authors)

1732, John Mercer and Hugh French, guardians of Thomas Hooper
1733, Estate of Rawleigh Travers paid Capt. Thomas Hooper

Bill D. note: An Elizabeth Travers or Travis was Sarah Suddarth's
grandmother. This could also tie in with the Travers or Travis
Alexander who married Polly Denny, daughter of Aaron Denny.

1733, Peter Hedgman guardian of Thomas Hooper

From "The Register of Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co. 1723-1758" by
George Harrison Sanford King:

1723, Capt. Thomas Hooper--1060 acres..paid 254 lbs. of tobacco from
Quit Rent Roll for Overwharton Parish Virginia State Enumerations 1782
-1785

Note that the estate of Capt. Thomas HOOPER in Stafford Co., VA lists
Henry SOUTHARD & William SUTHART. This William SUTHART was probably
William SUDDARTH, father of Sarah Suddarth whom we believe (but still
can't prove) married Samuel Denny. Thus, we have a tie between the
Suddarths and this Hooper, perhaps explaining the marriage of William
Denny, son of Samuel to Rebecca Hooper (perhaps granddaughter of the
above Thomas Hooper). I have not yet seen a copy of Thomas Hooper's
will. Per the notes I got from Ray Murtishaw, Thomas Hooper's will was
probated in 1737 in Stafford County. However, Mary E. Denney sent me a
copy of the "Supplemental Inventory of the Estate of THOMAS HOOPER
deceased" which has a date of 14 July, 1731. It shows Capt. Thomas
Hooper's wife was Sarah and that she married a RUST after his death. It
also contains Robinsons and Taliaferros. Does anyone have an index to
Stafford County wills? I'd like to order a copy of Thomas Hooper's will
to see if it has any more clues.

I'm not sure how the following (from the book "A Calendar of Sussex Co
., Delaware Probate Records, 1680-1800") ties in but it appears to
possibly be connected as well, based on names: Sarah Hooper, will made
Apr. 23, 1793. Heirs were sons, Henry, John and Thomas. Daus:
Priscilla TRAVERSE, Nancy Dal(gren), and Mary Tennent. Grandson, Henry
Wallace. Exec was her son Thomas Hooper. Wits: Elizabeth MERRILL, Peter
Rea. Probate March 25, 1797.

Any comments? Art and Mary--the above data tends to lend support to
the idea that Samuel Denny's roots could well have been in
Northumberland Co., VA, due to the early Hooper family ties to the
Suddarths. However, it's certainly not conclusive. Samuel could still
have immigrated ca 1740 and my 4th GGF William Denny could still just as
well have merely "met" Rebecca Hooper in Albemarle County in the 1760's
and 1770's.

--

Bill Denney--Vancouver USA

Researching: DENNEY/DENNY, BEEM, BENNETT, DANIEL, HILL, HOLT,
HOOPER, HOWARTH, ROBINSON, SOUTHARD/SUDDART

This thread: