DENNEY-L Archives

Archiver > DENNEY > 2009-10 > 1256429762

From: Barbara Denny George <>
Subject: [DENNEY] Duck Creek Hundred Delaware Dennys
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 19:16:02 -0500

The Hundreds of Delaware.

Hundreds are unincorporated subdivisions of counties, equivalent to
townships, and were once used as a basis for representation in the
Delaware Gen. Assembly.

Their names still appear on all real estate transactions but they
presently have no purpose except as a geographical point of reference.

The divisions, or "hundreds" as they are called, comes from the times
when Delaware and Maryland were colonial holdings of Great Britain.

While Delaware alone retains the use of "hundreds", the origin of most
"place names" in both states can be traced back to the times of
British rule.

Duck Creek Hundred is a hundred in Kent Co., Delaware. Duck Creek
Hundred was formed in 1682 as one of the original Delaware Hundreds.
Its primary community is Smyra. There were Denny Families in this area.

There are shoots of this family line all over the place. This is not
my line so I can not confirm the information below nor do I have more
information... but if you do, please post it so that those folks
researching this line can connect with each other.

Christopher Denny
Christopher Denny
Robert Denny
Peter Denny
Phillip Denny, Sr. b. abt. 1663 in Maryland d1684
m1 Rachel and had Phillip Denny Jr. abt 1682
m2 Margaret Jones b. abt 1685 and had the following children:
Joseph DENNY b: ABT. 1713 (?maybe probated in Duck Creek Hundred
abt 1799?)
Sarah DENNY b: 1715 in Benefield Plantation, Kent Co., DE
Phillip DENNY b: ABT. 1716 in Benefield Plantation, Kent Co., DE
m. M. Jones d 1757
Rebecca DENNY b: ABT. 1717
Christopher DENNY b: 1718
Evan DENNY b: 1719
John DENNY b: 1720 in Duck Creek, Kent Co., DE, m.Sarah d.1804
Susannah DENNY b: 1722
Mary DENNY b: 1724
Joseph DENNY b: 1726
Ann DENNY b: ABT. 1728 m. Moses Pearson
From a History by Marty Grundy 2002 reported by Darrell Sparks 2006
in my old notes.

This is not my line so I do not have further information.

Please feel free to submit articles you may have on a Denney/Denny
line.

Good Luck!
Barbara

Barbara Denny George