DENT-L Archives

Archiver > DENT > 2000-09 > 0969058557

From: Linda Reno <>
Subject: Re: DENT family
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:55:57 -0400

My name is Linda Davis Reno. I live in St. Mary's County, MD within shouting
distance of Charles Co. and am also a Dent descendant.

I'm a bit confused with Scot's posting and just want to make sure I have it
right. The first person listed is Thomas Dent (b. 1730 in Charles Co. and d.
1774 in St. Mary's Co.), son of George Dent and Elizabeth Short. His first wife
was Elizabeth ____(maiden name may be Edwards), b. 1730-1740; living as late as
1756. At the time of his death, his wife was Mary Ann____. Children of Thomas
and Elizabeth:

1. Henry, b. 1755-1756 and d. 1815 who m. Charity Cox by 1812.

2. William Barton Wade, b. 1756 and d. 7/28/1816 in Charles Co. who m.
Margaretta Smoot about 1777.

3. George, b. 12/21/1756 and d. 10/15/1845 in St. Mary's Co. who m. 1782-1788,
Elizabeth Temperance Mills. Capt. George Dent served in the Rev. War and the
War of 1812.

4. Thomas C., b. bef 1765 and d. after 1827 in Frederick Co., VA who m. Rebecca
Chappelear. I have only one child for them, although there were probably more.
That child was Thomas Edwards Dent, b. 6/29/1805 in Frederick Co., VA and died
9/6/1853 in St. Mary's Co., MD. He m. Susanna Hammett 12/20/1827. He came back
here to live.

5. Mary, who m. James Lyon. She d. 1822 in Grant/Mineral Co., VA.

6. Rebecca, b. 6/15/1770 in St. Mary's Co. and d. 5/3/1848 in Hampshire Co., VA
who m. Joseph Davis 11/22/1791 in St. Mary's Co. He was the son of Benjamin
Davis and Mary Cawood. Joseph appaently fell into disfavor with his father, as
he was disowned by his father's will. I have their children as:

a. Reuben Samuel, b. 9/30/1792 and d. after 1850 in Hampshire Co., VA who
m. Eleanor Dean 3/21/1814.

b. Noble, b. 7/28/1796.

c. Thomas, b. 3/17/1798.

d. Jesse, b. 5/24/1800 and d. after 1820. I have his wife as Mary
Burroughs.

e. Samuel, b. 1/24/1802 and d. after 1822 who m. Susan Sheets.

f. Rebecca, b. 3/11/1805 and d. after 1820 who m. Timothy Crosby.

g. Notley, b. 4/17/1807.

h. Elias, b. 8/2/1809 and d. after 1829. He m. Catherine Doll.

i. Mary, b. 1/16/1811.

j. Joseph Dent, b. 10/13/1814 in Hampshire Co., VA and d. 7/6/1889 in
Lexington, MO. He m. Julia A. Muse 2/3/1841.

The following letters are from my files and I think you will find them
interesting.

"My father, Joseph Davis was born April 1761 in Charles Co., MD. My mother,
whose maiden name was Rebecca Dent was born the 15th day of June 1770 in St.
Mary's County, MD within a very short distance of the Springs. I think they
were on her father's land. She was married to father on the 22nd day of
November in the year 1791 by Parson Dent who lived some 3 or 4 miles from
mother's residence. My father, Joseph Davis died 9/16/1831. My mother, Rebecca
Davis died 5/3/1848 at night, very suddenly at my house at Kelly place R. Davis
and buried by the side of father on father's old farm west from the northeast
point of Kettle Lick Ridge in Hardy Co., State of VA on the farm now the
property of brother Jesse Davis. They both lay on the southwest bank of the
first run coming into new crreek from the Allegheny mountains about the house of
said Jesse Davis. Mother, Rebecca Davis, as above stated, on the 3rd day of
May, 1848, a few minutes before 11:00 in the evening or night, with something
like a stroke of palsey, her death was sudden as well could be, she was dead
before I got from my room to where she lay although my daughters knew when she
was taken. Signed by Reuben Davis. (Fenwick Collection, SMC Historical
Society). Handwritten.

Davis-Dent. Papers of Mrs. Richard L. Clem, 714 Wayside Drive, Easton, MD
(Fenwick Collection, SMC Historical Society). Letter dated 1/27/1827 from
Thomas E. Dent, Brighton, Frederick Co., VA, but addressed on the side,
Gainsborough, VA to "His Dear Cousin", Ruben Davis, Paddytown, Hampshire Co.,
VA. Tells of visit to SMC where he talked to his uncle George Dent re: selling
horses but said his uncle stated you can sell the horses, but money is scarce in
SMC now. Found our relatives well excepting Richard Edwards lying at the point
of death. Cousin Eliza Dent is in delicate health. Father joins me in love to
you. Please inform how your father is.

Linda Reno

This thread: