DEPUY-L Archives

Archiver > DEPUY > 2002-02 > 1013973599

From: "Arthur P. Fisher" <>
Subject: [DEPUY] European research
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:20:22 -0500

This is getting close to what we can send to the researcher in England. Please advise me of any revisions, corrections or additional data.

Arthur

French Descendants of Raphael du Puy - FEB 15 2002

There may be errors in the following line as the basis for this descent to Nicholas was last done in about 1900 by Charles Meredith Dupuy.

FIRST GENERATION

1. Grand Chamberlain Conrad II Raphael DU PUY Comm. of Roman Cavalry was born between 1000 and 1010. The Shoemaker History states that he was born about 1030 (sic) and was one of the Governors which Emperor Conrad (II) appointed over his new possessions of Arles and Bourgogne. Conrad II of German passed thru Tuscany in 1026 on his way to Rome to be crowned Holy Roman Emperor. Raphael was with him in 1033. He must have been born about 1010 C.E.

The Tomb of Raphael du Puy was opened in 1610 by order of M. Le Compte de la roche, "Goureneur de Romans en Dauphine". The corpse was found extended pon a marble table, his spurs upon one side, his sword upon the other, and upon his head a helmet of lead containing the following inscription upon a copper place. It is said the the "House of DuPuy en Dauphine" posses a gold medal granted to this Raphael DuPuy upon one side of which is written: "Raphael de Podio, grand Chambellan de l"Empire Romaine Sons l"Empereur, Auguste, Christ regnant en chair".

Grand Chamberlain Conrad II Raphael DU PUY Comm. of Roman Cavalry had the following children:

+2 i. Lord of Rochefort Hughes DU PUY.

SECOND GENERATION

2. Lord of Rochefort Hughes DU PUY was born about 1050. Hughes founded the Abbey d'Aiguebelle, Order of Saint Bernard.

He went to the Crusades with three of his children and his wife. He was one of the Generals of "Godofroi de Bouillon, and for bravery was granted the Souverainete la ville d'Acres.

Note: From a guide in Israel I was told the there were three Souverainetes in Acre or Akko as it is known today. He was the "Mayor" of the city.

Lord of Rochefort Hughes DU PUY and Deurard DE POISIEU had the following children:

+3 i. Chevalier Alleman I DU PUY.

4 ii. Lord of TransJordan Romaine/Roman DU PUY was born about 1075. He died after 1132 in Palestine.

5 iii. Rudolph DU PUY was born about 1077. He died in 1096/97 in Palestine - killed in battle.

6 iv. Grand Master (1) Raymond DU PUY Knights of St. John of Jerusalem died in 1060 in Verona, Tuscany, Italy. He was born about 1080. The Catholic Encyclopedia on line has the following information about Raymond.

"Thanks to the resources accumulated by Gerard, his successor, Raymond of Provence (1120-1160) caused the erection of more spacious buildings near the church of the Holy Sepulchre, and henceforth the hospice became an infirmary served by a community of hospitallers in the modern sense of the word.

Strictly speaking, therefore, the Hospitallers of Jerusalem only began with Raymond of Provence, to whom they owe their rule. This rule deals only with their conduct as religious and infirmarians, there being no mention of knights. It especially sets forth that the hospital shall permanently maintain at its expense five physicians and three surgeons. The brothers were to fulfil the duties of infirmarians. A pilgrim, about the year 1150, places the number of sick persons cared for at 2000, a figure evidently exaggerated, unless we make it include all the persons harboured in a whole year. Raymond continued to receive donations, and this permitted him to complete his foundation by a second innovation. To accompany and defend at need, the arriving and departing pilgrims, he defrayed the cost of an armed escort, which in time became a vertable army, comprising knights recruited from among the crusaders of Europe, and serving as heavy cavalry......

Raymond followed Gerard de Marrtigues head of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, and served (1125-1158) as Grandmaster of the Knights Hospitaller. He increased the military role of the Hospitallers well beyond what had been first conceived, and fought alongside King Baldwin II at Ascalon in 1128. He allegedly contracted leprosy and became Master of St. Lazarus (1157-1159).

[//www.kwtelecom.com/chivalry/lazarus/masters.html]

THIRD GENERATION

3. Chevalier Alleman I DU PUY was born about 1070. A man of valor like his brothers, and was in battle on occasions in 1115. Charles M. DuPuy gives his name as Jean Alleman du Puy.

He is recorded as assisting Veronique's brothers in the Piedmont wars after which they founded the House of Savoy which became the royal family of Italy and exists to this day.

Veronique ADEMAR (daughter of Gerard ADEMAR) was born about 1095. Veronique as the niece of Bishop Ademar le Puy, the spiritual leader of the first Crusade. Chevalier Alleman I DU PUY and Veronique ADEMAR had the following children:

+7 i. Hughes DU PUY II.

8 ii. Guillaume DU PUY MLD was born about 1120. He founded the house of DePuy en Berri.

FOURTH GENERATION

7. Hughes DU PUY II was born about 1120. He went to the Crusades in 1140 with Aine III, Comte de Savoye.

A note is "acquit beau-coup de gloire en 1147, in the army of the Emperor Conrad III.

Hughes DU PUY II and Floride DE MOIRAN had the following children:

+9 i. Alleman DU PUY II.

FIFTH GENERATION

9. Alleman DU PUY II was born about 1170. He was also known as Montbrun. He is recorded as rendering homage in 1229 to Aimar de Poitiers.

Princess of Dauphine Alix DAUPHINE was born about 1180. Alleman DU PUY II and Princess of Dauphine Alix DAUPHINE had the following children:

+10 i. Sgr. of Bordeau Alleman DU PUY III.

SIXTH GENERATION

10. Sgr. of Bordeau Alleman DU PUY III was born about 1220. He died about 1304.

Sgr. of Bordeau Alleman DU PUY III and Beatrix ARTAUD/ARLAND had the following children:

11 i. Archbishop of Boulogne Bastat DU PUY was born about 1260. He was founder of the branch DePuy, Seigneurs de Montbrun.

12 ii. Cardinal of Bologne Joubert DU PUY was born about 1260.

+13 iii. Alleman DU PUY IV.

SEVENTH GENERATION

13. Alleman DU PUY IV was born about 1270. He followed Phillipe V into Flanders in 1329.

Eleanore ALLEMAN (daughter of Sgr. de Lancoil (Lintoil) Jean ALLEMAN) was born about 1285. Alleman DU PUY IV and Eleanore ALLEMAN had the following children:

+14 i. Alleman DU PUY V.

15 ii. Bastat DUPUY RD.

16 iii. Joubert DU PUY RD.

EIGHTH GENERATION

14. Alleman DU PUY V was born about 1305. He died in 1362.

Ainarde DE ROLAND was born about 1310. Alleman DU PUY V and Ainarde DE ROLAND had the following children:

+17 i. Gilles (Gillet) DU PUY.

NINTH GENERATION

17. Gilles (Gillet) DU PUY was born about 1330. He died in 1390. He rendered homage to charles de France in 1349.

Gilles (Gillet) DU PUY and Alix DE BELLECOMBE had the following children:

18 i. Artoit DU PUY RD was born about 1355.

19 ii. Ainer DU PUY RD was born about 1355.

20 iii. Guillaume DU PUY RD was born about 1360.

21 iv. Alleman DU PUY RD was born about 1360.

22 v. Chevalier Francois DU PUY RD was born about 1365. Chevalier of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.

+23 vi. Giles (Gillet) DU PUY II.

TENTH GENERATION

23. Giles (Gillet) DU PUY II was born about 1370. He died about 1420.

Florence DE HAUTEVILLE was born about 1380. All the children are listed under Florence because it is not known when she died or Gilles married Beatrix. Giles (Gillet) DU PUY II and Florence DE HAUTEVILLE had the following children:

24 i. Ainer DU PUY RD was born about 1398.

25 ii. Deidere DU PUY RD was born about 1400.

26 iii. Claude DU PUY RD was born about 1402.

27 iv. Jean DU PUY RD was born about 1405.

+28 v. General Ainier DU PUY.

+29 vi. Marie DU PUY RD.

He was married to Beatrix DE TAULIGNAN RD.

ELEVENTH GENERATION

28. General Ainier DU PUY was born about 1410. He served in the military in 1446 in France. General of the Armies. He was a Chevalier dt l'ordre de St. Jean de Jerusalem.

Catherine DE BELLECOMBE was born about 1420. General Ainier DU PUY and Catherine DE BELLECOMBE had the following children:

+30 i. Jean DU PUY MLD.

+31 ii. Jaques DU PUY.

+32 iii. Honorat DU PUY RD.

33 iv. Guillaume DU PUY RD.

29. Marie DU PUY RD was born about 1415.

She was married to Antoine DE MONTBRUN RD.

TWELFTH GENERATION

30. Jean DU PUY MLD was born about 1500. He died in 1583. He was the founder of the Protestant family of Cabrielles.

He was married to Peronne DE MANTONNE MLD. Jean DU PUY MLD and Peronne DE MANTONNE MLD had the following children:

+34 i. Pierre DU PUY MLD.

+35 ii. Raymond DU PUY RD.

31. Jaques DU PUY was born about 1460. He died about 1505.

He was married to Francise ASTRAUD in 1475. Francise ASTRAUD was born about 1465. She is listed as the mother of all the children because we do not know the date of her birth or the date of the second marriage. Jaques DU PUY and Francise ASTRAUD had the following children:

36 i. Jacques DU PUY MLD was born about 1485.

+37 ii. Honorat DU PUY.

38 iii. Guillaume DU PUY MLD was born about 1495.

+30 iv. Jean DU PUY MLD.

32. Honorat DU PUY RD died in 1558.

He was married to Peronette DE CLAVEYSON RD. Honorat DU PUY RD and Peronette DE CLAVEYSON RD had the following children:

+39 i. Francois DU PUY RD.

40 ii. Pierre DU PUY MLD.

41 iii. Claude DU PUY MLD.

THIRTEENTH GENERATION

34. Pierre DU PUY MLD.

Pierre DU PUY MLD had the following children:

+42 i. Bartholomy DU PUY MLD.

35. Raymond DU PUY RD.

He was married to Antoinette BOURASIER RD. Raymond DU PUY RD and Antoinette BOURASIER RD had the following children:

+43 i. Jean DU PUY RD.

44 ii. Charles DU PUY RD.

45 iii. Sara DU PUY RD.

37. Honorat DU PUY was born about 1490. He died about 1588. Made homage to King Louis in 1585.

He was married to Peronnette DE CLAVEYSON (daughter of King LOUIS) in 1522. Honorat DU PUY and Peronnette DE CLAVEYSON had the following children:

+46 i. Francois DU PUY MLD.

40 ii. Pierre DU PUY MLD.

41 iii. Claude DU PUY MLD.

39. Francois DU PUY RD.

He was married to Jeanne DE PELISSIER RD. Francois DU PUY RD and Jeanne DE PELISSIER RD had the following children:

+47 i. Francois DU PUY RD.

48 ii. Jacques DU PUY RD.

FOURTEENTH GENERATION

42. Bartholomy DU PUY MLD was born in 1581.

Bartholomy DU PUY MLD had the following children:

+49 i. Jean DU PUY MLD.

43. Jean DU PUY RD.

He was married to Anne DUPUY RD. Jean DU PUY RD and Anne DUPUY RD had the following children:

+50 i. Scipion DU PUY RD.

46. Francois DU PUY MLD was born about 1500. He died in 1571. Bartholeme du Puy who emigrated to Virginia in 1699 via England was his Great-Grandson.

Jeanne PELISSIER was born about 1505. She died in 1571. Francois DU PUY MLD and Jeanne PELISSIER had the following children:

+47 i. Francois DU PUY RD.

51 ii. Joachin DU PUY RD.

+52 iii. Laurent DU PUY RD.

+53 iv. Claude DU PUY.

47. Francois DU PUY RD.

He was married to Katherine DE SUFFISE RD. Francois DU PUY RD and Katherine DE SUFFISE RD had the following children:

54 i. Francois DU PUY RD.

51 ii. Joachin DU PUY RD.

+52 iii. Laurent DU PUY RD.

FIFTEENTH GENERATION

49. Jean DU PUY MLD.

He was married to Anne HEYER MLD. Jean DU PUY MLD and Anne HEYER MLD had the following children:

+55 i. Bartholomew DU PUY MLD.

50. Scipion DU PUY RD.

He was married to Isabeau DE BOUFFARD MADIANE RD.

52. Laurent DU PUY RD.

He was married to Marguerite DE LATIER RD. Laurent DU PUY RD and Marguerite DE LATIER RD had the following children:

56 i. Jacques DU PUY RD.

+57 ii. Laurent DU PUY RD.

53. Claude DU PUY was born about 1538. On one genealogy he is recorded as "a younger son of Francois".

Claude DU PUY had the following children:

+58 i. Sgr. St. Germain & de Labal Nicolas DU PUY Councilor, Parliament de Paris.

SIXTEENTH GENERATION

55. Bartholomew DU PUY MLD was born in 1652. He died in 1743.

He was married to Susanna LE VILLAIN MLD. Susanna LE VILLAIN MLD was born in 1660. She died in 1731. Bartholomew DU PUY MLD and Susanna LE VILLAIN MLD had the following children:

59 i. Pierre DU PUY MLD.

60 ii. John Bartholomew DU PUY MLD.

61 iii. Jaques DU PUY MLD.

62 iv. Philippa DU PUY MLD.

63 v. Martha DU PUY MLD.

57. Laurent DU PUY RD.

He was married to Suzanne DE CARIOT DU CONRODORSET RD. Laurent DU PUY RD and Suzanne DE CARIOT DU CONRODORSET RD had the following children:

+64 i. Jacques DU PUY RD.

58. Sgr. St. Germain & de Labal Nicolas DU PUY Councilor, Parliament de Paris was born in 1576.

Sgr. St. Germain & de Labal Nicolas DU PUY Councilor, Parliament de Paris and Claudine SANGUIN had the following children: (Nicholas was the only child given - I placed the others here to provide continuity to the line. Check the information from Celia Snyder at the end of this message - Could these mentioned be part of the nine children attributed to Claudine and Claude Dupuy? APF)

+65 i. Jean DEPUY OA.

66 ii. Nicholas DU PUY was born about 1594 in France. He died on JUN 25 1625 in Sarragosse.

67 iii. Adrien DU PUY.

SEVENTEENTH GENERATION

64. Jacques DU PUY RD.

He was married to Catharine DE NARBONNEPELET RD.

65. Jean DEPUY OA. Recent information states that Nicholas was named for his father. Previously accepted information stated that Nicolas' father was also Nicolas who died in battle in Saragosse, Spain in 1631 shortly after Nicolas was born. If so, was Adrien his father, or step-father or possibly a brother of his father who adoped him after his father's early death? Or was the Nicolas in question the grandfather? DePuy Vol. III accepts Adrien as his father from the following entry supplied by the Hague Netherlands Documentation center for family history: "Leiden, April 1649 was registered for confession in order to become a member of the Walloon parish: Nicolas du Puis, young man, accompanied by his father Adrien. Leiden, April 1649: Nicolas de Puis was accepted as a member."

Jean DEPUY OA and Jenne LORIERE OA had the following children:

+68 i. Nicholas Loriere DEPUY A-1.

+69 ii. Francois Loriere DEPUY A-2.

+70 iii. Anne Loriere DEPUY OA.

+71 iv. Susanna Loriere DEPUY OA.

There are other DuPuys of note who cannot be accurately placed in this chart and include:

Amiel Raymond Dupuy was the Bishop of Toulouse in 1108 and a friend of Gerard when Gerard was traveling through Europe to solicit the funds for the needs of his hospital. Amiel is not indexed in Sires' work "The Knights of Malta" with our Raymond du Puy so we can assume they are not the same person. Sire also says that Raymond was a Frankish Knight who stayed on in Palestine with the order. Possibly Amiel received his name as having been from the town of Puy (Le Puy) or he is of the DuPuy lineage which would make it also possible that Hugo DuPuy had a brother or a sister whose child assumed the family name.

Bernard Dupuy a poet, was born in 1520, and died in 1580. He wrote very copiously and is noted in France for the elegance of his language and style.

Claude Dupuy was born in Paris in 1545, died in 1594, and was noted for his learning and eloquence. "He conducted some important political negotiations; was Counselor of the Parisian Parliament, where his "brilliant intellect, great judgment, and profound learning rendered him the foremost man of his age."

Henri Dupuy, devoted himself exclusively to mineralogy, and published at Bordeaux, in 1601, among other works, the "Researches and Discoveries of Mines in the Pyrenees."

>From Charles Meridith's "History of the DuPuy Family": "Passing down the direct line of descent of the Montbrun-DuPuys, we pass many names of note in their day, stopping only to dwell somewhat upon the achievements of Charles DuPuy, the ninth generation from Raymond Dupuy whose whole life was full of thrilling incidents. He was born at the Chateau de Montbrun in 1530 and served with distinction in the wars of Flanders and Lorraine. Converted to Protestantism, he became most active in its defence, and when summoned by Parliament in 1560 to account for his course, he refused to obey, organizing the Protestants into active revolt, and leading them himself into many hard-fought victories. After the massacre of St. Bartholomew, he was among the first to raise the standard of insurrection, which resulted in the conquest of all of Dauphine. In 1574 he routed the King's forces at the Brodge of Royan, refusing the terms of peace at Rochelle....He was taken prisoner at Grenoble in 15!
75 and perished at the hands of King Francois I.

Jean Dupuy, the son of "Charles the Brave," succeeded to the title of Marquis de Montbrun. He was born in 1568 and died in 1637. He was captain of one hundred men of arms. In 1612 he was made Counselor of State, assisting at the "States Generale" in 1614. The Assembly of La Rochelle having given him the government of La Provence, he undertook its conquest. In 1622 he commanded the cavalry at Royan. Historical evidence exists to prove him to have been a political personage of note, as well as a distinguished soldier.

Alexandre Dupuy, the eleventh generation Chevalier Marquis de Saint-Andre Montbrun was born at Montbrun in 1600 and in early life was a page to Louis XIII. He joined the Protestants in Piedmont. He was defeated by Richelieu. He was captured, imprisoned but freed by the intercession by several of the nobility. He died in 1673. His title passed trough his brother Rene and his son Jean. A branch of Rene's family passed into Holland at the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes.

Jean DuPuy, lord of Villefranche de Jonchere and Marquis de Montbrun, newphew of Alexandre was driven from France and took refuge in England where he was made colonel of a regiment of French refugees. He took part in the battle of Marsiglia, October, 1693, where he was badly wounded, causing his death two months later.

Dr. John DuPuy the founder of a family of his surname in America was born in 1679 in France and died in New York City June 16, 1744. He is supposed to be the son of the above Jean who arrived in England in 1682. He arrived in America via Jamaica. He is the ancestor of Charles Meredith DuPuy, the author of the book from which this data is taken. His wife was Anne Chardavoine.

Christophe Dupuy was born in Paris in 1580. He became Cardinal de Jogensee, and was distinguished as a theological writer. He died in Rome in 1654. A variation on this information comes from his letters as follows:

(Photocopy of a book that Celia Snyder has)

"De Thou and the INDEX - Letters from Christophe DuPuy (1603-1607)." Unfortunately, I don't read French but I imagine these letters would make pretty good reading judging from the Introduction to the book which is in English. Apparently Christophe, as a young man, completed his education by travelling to Rome in the suite of a great nobleman or a cardinal. This Christophe Dupuy (1580?-1654), eldest son of an eminent conseiller in the Parliament of Paris, found a place in the train of Cardinal de Joyeuse (with whom he could claim a distant relationship) when the latter departed for Rome in August 1603. ... These journeys to the Eternal city were to be a turning point in Dupuy's life, for he decided to abandon his promising legal career for the life of an ecclesiastic. Dupuy's first visits to Rome were the occasion of an extensive correspondence with Jacques-Auguste de Thou (1553-1617), president in the Parlemont of Paris, and first cousin of Dupuy's mother. They include a tab!
le to illustrate the relationship between de Thou and Dupuy: Augustin de Thou (President) children:

1-Christophe de Thou (First President)

1.1-Jacques-Auguste de Thou (President)

2-Barbe de Thou married Jacques Sanguin

2.1-Claude Sanguin married Claude Dupuy (Our genealogy says she married Nicholas!)

2.1.1-Christophe Dupuy (2nd of 9 children)

De Thou's letters to his young relative were published in the eighteenth century [J-A. de Thou, "Historiarum," VII, Pt. I, Marville].

Apparently de Thou's "Historiarum" reflected his Gallican beliefs, recounted the scandals of the papacy, and lavished praise on Protestant men of letters and aroused opposition from the Roman Curia. During Dupuy's four years in Rome, he served as an emissary for the de Thou "History." He gathered opinions on the work, noted the passages to which objections were raised, and relayed this news to Paris. He solicited the favor and protection of various cardinals, and helped to create a faction powerful enough to prevent the condemnation of the "History" by the Congregation of the Index. Unfortunately, this faction was doomed, and the book eventually found its way to the "Index of Prohibited Books" De Thou was convinced that much of the opposition to his book was personal revenge for his role in drafting the Edict of Nantes and for his championship of the Bourbon dynasty against the Guise family and the Spanish. The Dupuy-de Thou correspondence also contains other matters of inte!
rest. During his stay in Rome, Dupuy was actively engaged in the research for the History, particularly for the ulogoes of sixteenth-century humanists, with which de thou concluded each year of his chronicle. Nearly all the letters discussed the progress of, and problems involved in his research. In addition, there are a number of miscellaneous subjects mentioned-Dupuy's resolve to enter the church, and the financial problems attendant upon that decision, etc.

The originals of Dupuy's letters were preserved by Christophe's younger brothers, Pierre and Jacques, secretaries to J.-A. de Thou, in volume 806 of the Dupuy Collection.

I also have some photocopies of a portion of another French book: "La France Protestante of vies Des Protestants Francais - Qui Se sont Fait Un Nom Dans L'Histoire" Depuis Les Premiers Temps De La Reformation Jusqu'a La Reconnaissance Du Principe De La Liberte Des cultes Par L'Assemblee Nationale Tome IV Colla-Essen, Slatkine Reprints, Geneve, 1966 This appears to be biographies, including the names: DuPre, Dupuis, Du Puy, Du Puy-Melgueil, Dupuy-Montbrun

The last name has about 10 pages of text. APF - There seems to much information available in these books that we do not have. Could they be located and photocopied or are translations available in a library somehwere?

Pierre Dupuy, a brother of the Cardinal, was born in 1582 and died in 1651. He also was noted as an ardent student and eminent writer. He wrote a long list of works, approved in their day, both on politics and theology, one of which was entitled "A True History of the Condemnation of the Order of Templars," was published in Brussels in 1751.

The Encyclopedia Britannica has this to say about Pierre:

"French scholar, otherwise known as Puteanus, was born at Agen (lot-et-Garonne) on the 27th of November 1582. In 1615 he was commissioned by Mathieu Mole, first president of the parlement of Paris, to draw up an inventory of the documents which constituted what at that time was known as the Tresor des charles (Treasure from the time of Charles). This work occupied eleven years. His MS. inventory is preserved in the original and in copy in the Bibliotheque Nationale, and transcriptions are in the national archives in Paris, at the record office in London, and elsewhere. Dupuy's classification is still regarded with respect, but the inventory has been partially replaced by the publication of the Layettes du tresor coming down to 1270. Dupuy also published, with his brother Jaques, and their friend Nicolas Rigault, the History of Aug. de Thou (1620, 1626). The two brothers then bought from Rigault the post of keeper of the king's library, and set up a catalogue of the library o!
f the Latin collection in the Bibliotheque Nationale. In the course of this work, Dupuy became acquainted with and copied an enormous mass of unpublished documents, which furnished him with the material for some excellent works: Traite des droits et des libertes de Peglise gallicane, avec les preuves (1639), Histoire du l'ordre militaire des Templiers (1654), Histoire generale du schisme qui a ete dans l'eglise depuis 1378 jusqu'd 1428 (1654), and Histoire du differend entre le pape Boniface VIII et le roi Philippe le Bel (1655).

These works are important contributions to the history of the relations of church and state in the middle ages. They were written from the Gallican standpoint, i.e. in favor of the rights of the crown in temporal and political matters, and this explains the delay in their publication until after Dupuy's death. He died in Paris on the 14th of December 1651. He wrote also Traite des regences et des majorites des rois de France (1655) and Rocueil des droits du rei (1658). DePuy's papers, preserved in the Bibliotheque National, were inventoried by Leon Dorea (Catalogue de la collection Dupuy, 1899). See also L. Delisle's Le Cabinet des manuscrits de la bibliotheque imperiale."

Note: The publication of his work supporting the authority of the King over the Pope might have involved our ancestors since this year - 1651 - is the same year that Nicholas and Francois departed hastily from Paris. Was there a close family relationship between Pierre and our ancestors? DuPuy is quoted often in the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica in the articles on the Knights of St. John - the Hospitalers and the Crusades. His works are respected by modern historians as to accuracy, however, they agree that Pierre's objective in his writings was to support the King in all matters and place the responsibility for all errors upon the Church. At this time the King was not actively persecuting the Huguenots and respected the Treaty of Nantes. Bartholomew Dupuy was not yet serving in the King's household so all Dupuy's were not affected by the pursuit of Nicholas and Francis. At the time of the flight Nicholas was about twentyfive and Francois twenty. It is hard to believe that tw!
o young men would have brought this condition upon themselves but no other persons are mentioned in their exodus.

Jaques Dupuy, born in 1586, was another brother of this family, noted as a writer of considerable force and for being confessor to the King. He worked with Pierre at the National Library in Paris.

Jean Cochan Dupuy, an eminent physician, born in Niort, in 1674, died at Rochefort in 1754. He published many important professional works and was a correspondent of the Academy of Science.

These men are of interest but not related to our research. There may be genealogies on them, somewhere.

Louis Dupuy was a mathematician of great learning, born in Le Bugey in 1709. He became principal editor of the "journal des Savans," which publication he directed during thirty years with much critical ability. In 1756 he was admitted into the "Academie des Belles Lettres," of which he was made perpetual secretary in 1773, and to which he contributed many treatises. He was secretary to the Congress of Ruyswick. He died in 1795.

Dupuy, Charles Alexandre (1851- )

French statesman, was born at Le Puy on the 5th of November 1851, his father being a local official. After being a professor of philosophy in the provinces, he was appointed a school inspector, and thus obtained a practical acquaintance with the needs of French education. He became a cabinet minister, advisor to the President and in June 1900 was elected senator for Haute Saone.

This thread: