DERBYSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > DERBYSGEN > 2000-08 > 0965436814

From: Elizabeth Needham <>
Subject: [DBY] Hill Lee & Woolleys in History of Derbyshire
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 17:53:34 -0700

Anne,

Here you go. No references to Merchant's.

Hill

"They varied considerably in design, but most bore the trademam name, location
and date and a device signifying their trade (such as arms of their livery
company e.g. Butchers, Grocers, Salters, Tallow Chandlers, or a personal
device-a knife and cleaver in the case of Henry Hill, butcher of Bonsall."

Lee

"It was customary for Ashbourne tradesmen to walk hounds for the hunt, and
newspaper notices in that year show that a white hound belonging to Hugo Meynell
was lost from the premises of William Lee, a grocer."

Winfield (closest is Wingfield)

"The Goushills of Barlborough (whose co-heiress conveyed a moiety of Barlborough
to the Wingfield family);"

Woolley

"The winter of 1607-8 (noted for its frost in Woolley's History of Derbyshire
and described in a letter from London on 29 January 1608 by Lord Lisle to the
Earl of Shrewsbury as 'the like hath not have been seen upon the Thames in the
memory of the oldest man') appears to have been the inspiration for the start of
Dutch winter landscape painting, with work by Hendrick Avercamp followed in the
next half of the century by those of van der Goyen, van Goyen , van Ostade and
van Ruysdael."

"In 1614 Woolley writes in his 'history'; 'In this year there was a great snow
and, after, a great drought which continued almost four months'... In 1634 he
records; 'in this year was the great snow wherein four perished between Darby
and Spoondon'."

"Samuel Sanders - Owing to his early death at the age of only 47 he never
completed this project, but his work was mostly original and laid the
foundations for William Woolley's later manuscript history."

"In his preface "To the reader' at the beginning of his manuscript history of
Derbyshire dated c. 1712-15, William Woolley declares his surprise 'that when
almost all the counties of England have their histories or descriptions
published, ... no one has ever yet done anything considerable with respect to
Derbyshire ... there being few counties in England which afford more room for a
nice pen to expatiate in ...' He explains that he has written his 'History' as a
retirement occupation after a busy life in commerce, and goes on to recount how
his work is largely based on the collections made by his 'most respected
brother-in-law Samuel Sanders of Little Ireton. In point of fact Samuel Sanders
was Woolley's step-uncle, Sanders sister Elizabeth had married William Woolley a
silk merchant of London, who was the son of Arthur Woolley (of Smalley and later
Marston-on-Dove) a descendant of the Woolleys of Allen Hill in the parish of
Riber. Elizabeth was Woolleys second wife, and one of their daughters, Esther
married Sander's second son, Samuel (1686-1746), of Derby. But by his first
wife, Woolley had a son, William, who became a merchant in London trading with
Spain. This William Woolley - the stepson of Samuel Sanders sister Elizabeth was
the author of the 'History' and appears to have retired from business in London
and to have purchased the Darley Abbey Estate in 1709. There after her settled
down to write his county history, and was eventually buried with his wife
(Rebecca Westbrooke) in St. Alkmund's Church in 1719."

"William Woolley's manuscript history is seriously incomplete, since it does not
cover the hundreds of Scarsdale or of High Peak. But it is by no means an
insignificant work. He complies brief parish histories, with the emphasis on
manorial descents, agriculture and trade, but showed little interest in
ecclesiastical history or local families. His description of land and of various
trades is however of considerable interest in that it comes at a time shortly
before the beginnings of parliamentary enclosures, and when Derbyshire's early
industries and trades (particularly lead mining, brewing and malting) were still
flourishing and the later industries of coal mining, quarrying and iron smelting
were still in their infancy. Since he describes himself as as former 'factor in
the lead trade at London", his account of the lead industry in Derbyshire is
particularly valuable. His remarks on communications particularly the importance
of Trent for Derbyshire trade are also of much interests. Woolley gives a
detailed description of the town of Derby (clearly from his own first hand
knowledge) and shorter accounts of Ashbourne and Wirksworth. Indeed Woolley
freely admits that certain research 'would have been more trouble tome than I
was willing to take in a matter which I had only designed for an amusement' -
the 'history' was nevertheless written by a well traveled and observant man of
affairs and was founded upon the original and reliable researches of Samuel
Sanders. It occupies an important place in Derbyshire historical writing, and
has been published by the Derbyshire Record Society (Vol.6, 1981, edited by
Catherine glover and Philip Riden), together with Samuel Sander's collections on
microfiche."

"The amount collected on this occasion was 990 pounds (William Cavendish paying
100, Edward Mundy of Markeaton and Adam Woolley of Matlock 30 pounds each and
the rest 20 each)."

"The 'de Sappertons', held a manor here for a quarter of a knight's fee
certainly until the 15th century, and the Blounts also seem to have held a manor
here at the end of the 14th century. Apperton became the property at the Agards
of Foston in the 16th century, and a century later was sold in shares to the
Woolleys and the Bates."

"the new gentry and yoeman families of Gell, Woolley, Wigley, Shakerley and
Northedge, amongst others; and merchant families such as Ferne and Deane. Many
of these families were linked by marriage."

"Of the brenner families of the Low Peak only the Gells, Wigleys, Woolleys,
Rollestons, Knivetons, Berfords and Columbells adopted successfully the new
ore-hearth smelting process."

"Woolleys statement (c.1712-15) that the town of Derby was an entrepot for the
export of lead"

"However, other local families who had long been engaged in the industry as
brenners, rapidly adopted the new smelting technique and forsook their old
boles."

"smelting soon developed into a service industry, in which the mill operators
smelted ore both for themselves and for customers (thus Adam Woolley in c. 1609
charged local miners 16s. a fother, inclusive of 'wood and workmanship', to
smelt their ore)."

"Adam Woolley (1758-1827) a member of the ancient family of Wolley of Riber and
an attorney by profession, was another well known antiquary and made an immense
collection of papers on Derbyshire history, which are now bound in many stately
volumes in the British library."

"In the north county a number of gentry families were hunting hares in the 17th
century (e.g. Richard Senior of Cowley and William Woolley of Riber), and in the
Georgain period Sir Sitwell Sitwell (d.1811) is known to have kept a pack of
harriers (which once pursued a tiger that had escaped from a menagerie in
Sheffield), as well as owning fighting cocks."

"Other contemporary Derbyshire clockmakers included James Woolley of Codnor (who
was succeeded by his nephew John c.1795, Francis Tatum d. 1752 and his cousin
Jonathan d.1733, both of Derby and William Cother also of Derby."

"Thomas Smith Woolley ran a land agency firm at South Collingham (Notts.) (from
where his successors still carry on a similar business):"

"In his description of Derby (1712-15) William Woolley declared that "the
principal trade of the town is that of malting, with which they supply a great
part of Cheshire, Staffordshire and Lancashire ... As also the bakers trade,
which from this town supplies most of the Peak country with bread made of hard
corn, they having not much but oats amongst themselves. This town is also very
famous for very good ale, which the brewers send to London and other parts...'
Woolleys observation that Derby supplied the Peak District with bread is
significant."

That is all for now, enjoy.

All the best, Elizabeth