DERBYSGEN-L ArchivesArchiver > DERBYSGEN > 2001-03 > 0985285234
From: Sonia W Addis-Smith <>
Subject: Re: [DBY] Early Mackworth
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:20:34 +0000
On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:28:28 -0000, Derek Smith (Doncaster) wrote:
>Does anyone have information about Mackworth ..... before about 1790?
1712: Here is an account of Mackworth, by William WOOLLEY, an early
Derbyshire historian, whose manuscript on Derbyshire places was
written about 1712, and was only recently published by the Derbyshire
It is taken from: "William Woolley's History of Derbyshire", edited
by Catherine Glover and Philip Riden, published by Derbs Record
Society, Vol 6, 1981, pp.17-18:-
Lies about two miles north-west of Derby. A church town but of small
value; in Doomsday Book it is called 'Macheword' and was part of the
lands of Hugh, Earl of CHESTER, and under him held by Gozlinus. It is
situated part on the top and part on the bottom of an hill.
It is a large lordship and good lands, mostly arable, and has the
remainders of an old castle, but whether built by the TOUCHETS or
MACKWORTHS we cannot tell. Now Sir Nathaniel CURZON owns it.
- In 25 Edward I (1297), Ralph de BAKEPAIR died possessed of an
estate at 'Machevorth', which he left to Thomas TOUCHET in two
- In 7 Edward III (1333), Margaret EVERINGTON died and left an
estate here to John TURVILE, under the Lord HASTINGS (at which time
the Abbot of Darley had an estate here).
- John TURVILE died and left his estate, which he held under the
Earl of SHREWSBURY, to his son William.
- In the 12th [year] of the same King (1338), Edward James TOUCHET,
Lord AUDLEY, was convicted of high treason, possessed of this manor.
- In 29 Henry VIII (1537/8), Sir John MUNDY, Alderman, goldsmith
and Lord Mayor of London 1522, descended from William MONDY of Quarn
by Derby, died possessed of this manor, and left it to his son
- 1 Mary (1553/4), William BASSETT of Langley left some estate to
his son William, as did Thomas POUDRELL in 5 Philip & Mary (1557/8),
to Vincent MUNDY, at which time died Sir Francis MACKWORTH, Esq, and
left an estate her to his son George.
- In 13 Elizabeth (1571), Vincent died and left his estate here to
Edward his son etc, who also had the reversion of BASSETT's estate.
William AGARD, husbandman, held under him.
- In the 41st year (1599) died German POLE of Radborn, left some
estate here to Francis his son.
Mackworth is now mostly belonging to Francis MUNDAY, Esq, the eldest
branch of the family. It was taxed at UK 69 pounds 3 shillings and 9
Situated a mile east of Mackworth in the way to Derby, from which it
is distant a little mile. A small village in Mackworth parish; in
Doomsday Book it was called 'Mark Eaton' and was also part of the
lands of Hugh, Earl of CHESTER, and under by Earl SIUUART.
It contains good middling land of all sorts; it has a pretty brook
runs through it, coming from Hulland Ward and from thence passeth
through Derby, where it runs into the River Derwent. By consequence
it is mostly low [lying]. This one thing is remarkable, that Mr
MUNDY's pasture, which lies near his house on a hillside, it is
reported by MARKHAM to have a peculiar quality to dapple horses which
are fed on it. It is also called 'Marton'.
In Edward I's and IV's days it belonged to the TOUCHETS, as before
[above], and has all along gone with Mackworth and came with that,
Alestree [sic] and Quarndon to the MUNDYS, in which family it now is.
And Francis MUNDY, Esq, the first branch of the family has an ancient
seat there. He married the heiress of Mr WRIGHT of Osbaston in
Leicestershire. Their arms and crest are: ............... Taxed at
UK 157 pounds and 5 shillings.
1846: Here are a few more facts on Mackworth, taken from "History,
Gazetteer and Directory of Derbyshire", by Samuel Bagshaw, 1846,
MACKWORTH parish contains the townships of Mackworth and Markeaton,
together having 3,400 acres of land, and 561 inhabitants. In 1801
there were 409 , and in 1831, 621 inhabitants.
Mackworth is a township and indifferent village, with a few modern
houses, on the Derby and Ashbourn road, 2 3/4 miles WNW from Derby.
It contains 1,225 acres of land, 64 houses, and 361 inhabitants, of
whom 192 were males, and 196 females. William MUNDY, Esq, is lord of
the manor and principal owner. Other owners are: Lord SCARSDALE,
Godfrey MEYNELL, Esq, and E.S.C. POLE, Esq. A court leet is held
The CHURCH, All Saints, is a Vicarage ...... William MUNDY, Esq, is
patron and impropriator of the tithes; and the Rev George PICKERING
is incumbent, whose uncle and grandfather preceded him in the living.
The church is a venerable looking structure, partly in the Decorated
style, with a nave, chancel, and fine tower, an octagonal spire, and 3
bells. In the chancel are two marble tablets to William FORRESTER, of
Broad Fields, Herts, and Ann, his wife, with several others in the
In 1835 the patron erected a school-room. All classes are eligible,
on payment of 2 pence or 4 pence per week to the Master; who also
receives UK 9 pounds per annum from Mr MUNDY; about 40 attend, and he
has UK 5 pounds for teaching a Sunday school.
In 1763, the open lands of both townships, amounting to 2,490 acres,
The MANOR of Mackworth has always been held with that of Markeaton. A
considerable freehold estate was held under the lord of the manor, by
the ancient family of DE MACKWORTH, who had a castellated mansion
here. Thomas MACKWORTH, Esq, who was one of the representatives of
the county of Derby in the reign of Henry VI (1422-71); Sir Thomas
MACKWORTH, who died seized of the castle in 1640; and the estate is
now the property of Lord SCARSDALE.
MARKEATON, a township and small ancient village, 1 3/4 miles WNW from
Derby; 1,912 acres of rich land, 35 houses, and 200 inhabitants, of
whom 102 are males, and 98 females ... William MUNDY, Esq, is lord of
the manor and principal owner. Lord SCARSDALE, Mrs TROWELL, and
William EVANS, Esq, are also owners, and the Corporation of Derby have
118 acres. The HALL is a large brick mansion, with a spacious park in
front, the seat of William MUNDY, Esq, was erected about the year
1750. The old Hall was of wood and plaster. In 1844, a neat Gothic
lodge and handsome iron entrance gate was erected on the ashbourne
THORNHILL, a neat modern residence, the seat and property of Mrs
TROWELL, commanding a fine view of Derby, from which it is 1 1/2 miles
W by S. There are several well-built scattered houses in the
township. In 1827, the late Mrs Sarah MUNDY established a free school
for the girls of both townships; about 40 attend.
The MANOR, 'Marchetone', is described in Doomsday Book as having been
the property of SIWARD, and then held by GOZELIN, under Hugh LUPUS,
Earl of CHESTER. In the year 1251, Thomas, son of Robert TUSCHET, had
a chart of free warren here [right to catch the rabbits]. They also
claimed a park and a gallows for the execution of criminals in 1330.
about the year 1516, John TUCHET, Lord AUDLEY, sold the manors of
Markeaton and Mackworth to John MUNDY, citizen of London, from whom
they have descended to the present possessor. The late Noel Francis
Clarke MUNDY, Esq, was for many years the much respected Chairman of
the Quarter Sessions (courts) at Derby, and author of the admirable
poems of "Needwood Forest" and the "Fall of Needwood."
- Richards CROSHAW's Charity ......
- MUNDY's Charity ......
- Peter HOUGH's Charity .....
- Henry STANLEY, 1715 .....
- POLE's Charity .....
Thurleigh, Bedfordshire, England