DERBYSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > DERBYSGEN > 2005-05 > 1115708968

From: "Eunice Maddock" <>
Subject: Re 'The Matenity Home'
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:10:56 +0100

Hallo Carol; Ruth; Carolyn and Lin.

Thank you so much for taking the time and the trouble to
answer my message - this really is appreciated.

I don't think I worded my message very well - yes, I did
know about 'maternity homes' in general - we had quite a few
here in Nottingham.

However, in view of the fact that my relation was an
unmarried mother and actually put the baby up for
adoption/foster care, made me wonder if this particular
maternity home, was used solely for that purpose?

My Great Aunt actually adopted the little one - although no
evidence from the Adoption Register can be found to support
this so we are now wondering, if it was a fostering
arrangement. In her Will, my Great Aunt did mention her
'adopted Daughter .......'

I think formal adoption law came into being round about
1927'ish - but don't quote me!

I have found a couple of pictures of the maternity home in
'Picture the Past' and apparently, it was demolished in the
1930's and is now the home of Ripley Library.

Once again, 'THANK YOU' for your help - aren't we lucky to
have such generous, helpful people, on this List!!!

Warm regards

Warwick

This thread: