DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 1997-08 > 0871784194

From: Helen Parsonage <>
Subject: A NEW ON-LINE GENEALOGY RESOURCE
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 22:16:34 -0400

already know that requests for, and offers of look-ups in various reference
materials form a substantial percentage of postings. Wouldn't it be great
to have a central, on-line 'clearing house' for these?

Helen Parsonage and Mike Harbach are proposing a county-by-county 'Look-up
Exchange' for England (and maybe also later for Wales and Scotland, if the
interest is there). From a Master Page, visitors will be able to click on
the county of their choice to find a list of resources, and volunteers
willing to do the look-up. Examples of resources already put forward
include: Census Indexes, Parish Registers, Tax Lists, City Directories etc,
etc.

This is still in the early planning stages and we are looking for input and
VOLUNTEERS. There is a need for both County Co-ordinators and Volunteers.
County Volunteers will set up their county page (with a template and
assitance provided), listing resources and volunteers. There really won't
be too much work involved here. We even have space on our sites to host
them if you don't have a web-site of your own. Volunteers will simply list
the resources they are willing to check, and wait for the requests to come.
None of this will involve anyone in any more time than they choose to
spend.

We know this can be a great success - but we need your help. Worcestershire
and Staffordshire already have co-ordinators; wouldn't you like to see
'your' county covered? Maybe you could interest your county FHS? Visit us
at:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/8555/lookup.html

If you would like to help, either as a co-ordinator or simply to offer
look-ups, please let us know. More details are available on request.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Helen Parsonage

This thread: