DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-11 > 1005747613

From: "Terry Leaman" <>
Subject: Re: ILSINGTON CHURCH RECORDS - 17TH CENTURY - SKINNER family
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:20:13 -0000

Madalene, sorry can't help directly, but your piece about monies collected
for the repairs to St Pauls is an example of the collections ordered by the
Sovereign from around the country to repair or rebuild churches damaged by
fire or other disaster, I knew about one done for St Marychurch in 1713 and
recently found the following reference to it;-
Swanage Register. 1563 To 1812 (Dorset)
Briefes Colld- 1713
Another for St Mary Church, loss by ffire in ye County of Devon, publisishsd
ye 01 Nov 1713 & Coll'd thereupon one shilling 0 1 0 (Modern money 5p)
(From Ancestry.com CD English Parish records, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset &
Somerset)

There is also a reference in Northumberland (way up north) where 2shillings
and ten pence halfpenny was collected (modern money about 14p)

So I reckon that the parish of Ilsington was very generous in its collection
for St Pauls.(modern money £2.52)
Regards
Terry Leaman
Torquay
Devon.
OPC (online Parish Clerk) for Torquay and DFHS representative on Devon-L
My web site at www.leaman.freeserve.co.uk contains information and photos
about Torquay and vicinity.
My index to 1861 census for St Mary Church, may now be found at
http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/genuki/DEV/TorquayStMarychurch/
although I can still offer full transcriptions of any entry found there.
Torquay (ancient & modern) information or photos wanted.
E-mail:- . Member of DFHS.
All Mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2001