DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2002-03 > 1017601992

From: "Diane R" <>
Subject: Robert ROWE, Dartmouth
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 20:20:31 +0100

Hello List

Well, I'm new here, brought along by a snippet of information on the 1901 census in Sunderland, Durham.

My gt grandfather was called Robert ROWE born about 1877. Although we knew he had been born in the south of the country we didn't know where until we found him on the 1901 census at 10 Brougham Street, Southwick, Sunderland, County Durham (now Tyne and Wear) a Boarder, single, age 24, an Ordinary Sea Man [worker], born Devon, Dartmouth. He married Ann MARTIN on 12 Nov 1901 at Sunderland Register Office, occupation shown as Labourer, fathers name shown as Thomas ROWE. Family story has it that gt grandfather lied about his age so that he could go to sea.

I checked the National Index on the 1881 and the only Robert ROWE born in Dartmouth around the right period is part of the following family:
Dwelling: North Ford Lane
Census Place: Dartmouth Townstall, Devon, England
Source: FHL Film 1341524 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2175 Folio 27 Page 48
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Elizabeth ROWE W 47 F Beesands, Devon, England, Rel: Head, Occ: Charwoman
Jane ROWE 10 F Dartmouth, Rel: Daur, Occ: Scholar
James ROWE 8 M Dartmouth, Rel: Son, Occ: Scholar
Robert ROWE 5 M Dartmouth, Rel: Son, Occ: Scholar
Nicholas ADAMS W 77 M Dartmouth, Rel: Lodger, Occ: Labourer

Perhaps one reason Robert ROWE went to sea at an early age was because his father died when he was young, yet on Roberts marriage certificate it does not show his father Thomas ROWE as deceased.

Very bare bones of information I'm afraid, and not knowing the Darmouth / Devon area I'm not really sure of parishes, or any online registers that may be available. So, I would dearly love any suggestions / web sites where I can try for information on Robert (I've already tried the IGI and nothing came up), also if anyone else is researching this family and has Robert ROWE as a stray I would love to hear from you also.

Diane R, Sunderland UK

This thread: