DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2008-02 > 1201908779

From: "Jacqui Bell" <>
Subject: [DEV] Posting surname interests - inc TOZER, HERD, LOVELL, BIDGOOD
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 23:32:59 -0000

It's been a while since I last posted here, so here is are the main surnames
I'm researching, with a bit of detail on the Devonshire ones:

In Devon:

TOZER
Robert TOZER m. Mary PRIGG 1817 in St Thomas Exeter (from IGI). They had 7
children baptised at St Edmunds (also only from IGI), inc my ggg gm Mary Ann
(1835 - she was still alive in 1877 from son's military service record with
the Royal Artillery, but can't find any subsequent trace of her). Sarah m.
John WOODWARD. Thomas m. Dinah GIBBINS (their children married into
GALLIVER, MADDOCK, HAYDON, LOWDEN, RICE, MOREY, BRADFORD, GILLARD).

HERD / HEARD
William b. cir 1819 was a confused chap who didn't seem to know where he was
born. Possibly Bow, but apparently not son of Richard HEARD and Elizabeth
PIKE! In Powderham in 1841, Kenton thereafter. Also in Kenn/Kenton were
Richard HEARD and John HEARD, both b. Bow. This Richard was possibly the
one named as witness on William's marriage cert in 1843.

LOVELL
Elizabeth LOVELL, wife of William HEARD, was b. cir 1823 in Kenton dau of
William LOVELL and Elizabeth GOODWIN. But which William?
- Thomas LOVELL m Grace DOWN 1780 Kenn. Son William (2/7) b 1784 Kenn.
- William LOVELL m Ann LAKE 1780 Kenton. Son William (4/7) b 1788 Kenton.

BIDGOOD
Part of an extensive family from Halberton. Robert BIDGOOD b. 1795 was 2nd
of 6 children for Richard BIDGOOD & Mary LANE. Robert m. Mary BOWDEN in
Chudleigh 1824. They moved to Kenn where they had William, Mary Ann &
Thomas.

Kind regards,
Jacqui

Other surname interests:
=======================

DEWDNEY & DUDNEY - mainly Sussex & Surrey
KNAPP - Sussex & Surrey
HEASMAN - Sussex
BANFIELD - Sussex
RUMENS - Essex, Middlesex, Surrey, hopeful connection to Kent
SCRIVENER - Essex, Middlesex, Surrey
BOORMAN - Kent
ROSE - Kent
SELMAN - Wilts primarily
SPACKMAN - Wilts
VALENTA - Middlesex, Prague
THOMPSON - Portsmouth HAM, Rotherhithe KEN
NICHOLS - Hants
HARBERT - Portsmouth area, Isle of Wight
MARTIN - Portsmouth area
MIDGLEY - W. Yorks (Bradford area)
PICKLES - W. Yorks
KELLET - W. Yorks
WALKER - W. Yorks
GREENWOOD - W. Yorks (Halifax RD)
WILSON - Manchester, possibly Ireland before that
BELLINGHAM - Lancs
KITCHEN - Lancs
GRAHAM - Dundee, Ireland
MCNEIL & MCEWAN - Winnipeg - would like to find Canadian-resident
descendents of John Thomas TOZER & Elizabeth GRAHAM

Plus my husband's: SMITH, CAMERON, SOPPIT, ROBERTS, TOSH, ADDISON, ANDERSON,
WESTON, FORBES, DON, DAKERS, MURRAY, BEATTIE etc mostly in Angus, with some
forays into Perthshire & Kincardinshire.

Please email off list if you think we may be researching the same families.
Kind regards,
Jacqui

This thread: