DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2009-08 > 1250685650

From: D <>
Subject: [DEV] STEPHEN NEWTON b.1770-1800?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:40:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hallo listers
Please can you help verify a family story? Grt grt grandma married out of the Jewish faith, causing great scandal.    One cousin was told that she was a Spanish Jewess
She was SOPHIA NEWTON b.1819 Bartholemew st Exeter St Olave
parents STEPHEN NEWTON b. unknown + MARY VANSTONE b.unknown
MARY + STEPHEN married 1818 in Exeter.

SOPHIA NEWTON married ROBERT TUCKER October 5th 1845 LANGTREE
both father's names + occupations are left blank     (were they dissowned ?)
I have SOPHIA+ ROBERT on 1841  to1861 census.

I also have the Vanstone family tree on IGI,and another researcher told me they were mostly Bible Christians.
I have a JOHN VENSTONE b.3/5/1815 baseborn son to MARY VENSTONE in St Mary Arches St . Exeter St Olave. Which I think is the same Mary (Vanstone ), as Bartholemew St ,( where Sophia was born) is next to it.
Apart from there being a synagogue in St Mary Arches St, + Sophia calling her son LEVI
I just can't crack the jewish side.
Perhaps if someone can find STEPHEN NEWTON + Mary on any census I will be able to find the Spanish connection.
                          many thanks
                                            Delta

This thread: