DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2011-02 > 1297115353

From: Francis Payne <>
Subject: [DEV] Shears & Varwell of Brixham
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:49:13 +1300 (NZDT)

My g-gfather's brother George Payne (b1879) m Marion Shears (b1867, Brixham). In
1911 they were at Highcliffe, Hants.

Marion was dau of Samuel Shears and Sarah Varwell. Sarah was from a long line of
Peter Varwells possibly going back to THE Peter Varwell, the Brixham
fisherman who was reputed to have carried Wm of Orange ashore in 1688. One of
Geo and Marion's sons was Peter Varwell Payne.

I can find a possible death of Geo (Petersfield 1949) but no sign of Marion. Can
anyone help find her or add anything more to the story of the Varwells ?

Francis
Auckland, NZ

This thread: