DEWEESE-L Archives

Archiver > DEWEESE > 1998-08 > 0903322005

From: <>
Subject: Re: [DEWEESE-L] RE: Deweese Information
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 19:46:45 -0700

Ok, I will give this another go since we have everyone's attention now.

My Deweese is Solamon or Solomon born (off of grave stone) Aug 4, 1813
Died (off of grave stone) Nov 21, 1880 in Spiro, OK. He is burried in
Skullyville Indian Cemetary near Spiro. He was married to Mary Ann
Flannery who was born in KY and Died in MO dates unknown. He had 10
children according to a death notice published for his wife. The only
child I know of is Miranda born in 1842 in Il. She married Wylie Jones
on 20 Feb 1876 in Texas Co, MO and Miranda died in 1888 in Texas co,
MO.

I visited Skullyville Indian Cemetary which is in LeFlore Co Ok and took
photos of his grave. I have gone through the public records available
at the countly court house and library in OK. The death notice I found
for Mary Ann was in a Missouri Pioneer newsletter. Since Soloman is
burried in Skullyville I believe he may be all or part indian and
assumed the name of a white person. He died while Ok was still indian
territory. Any white living in indian territory could not own property
and rented from the indians, there are rent records with the white
renters names. I have not found his name among the renters.

His wife Mary Ann Flannery comes from the Flannerys of Johnson County,
Il, who received the only IL Spanish Land Grant for spying for Spain.
I can provide more information on this to anyone who wishes to get it.

As you can see I have done a bit of research on this particular man.

Lee Blomquist

This thread: