DEWEESE-L Archives

Archiver > DEWEESE > 2008-10 > 1225287539

From: "Vaughn, Jack C. Dr." <>
Subject: Re: [DEWEESE] Solomon Deweese
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:38:59 -0400

Hello, Bobbie:

I serve as Dewees/Deweese Family Archivist, and have over the years worked along with many other family researchers on virtually every Deweese line. Years ago, we worked on your Solomon Deweese, and I wrote that study up in a formal letter (with source references). I don't think a scan of my old letter will be taken by this list, and so I will be writing you individually with more details. But as long as we are here, I can tell you that your Solomon was indeed b. 4 August 1813, and that the location was N.C. He died on 21 November 1880 in what was then Indian Territory (now LeFlore Co., OK), and is buried at Scullyville Cem. He m. Mary Ann Flannery on 25 November 1835 in Johnson Co., IL. We have the names of all the children by his first marriage from the contents of an obituary on his wife Mary Ann that appeared in the St. Louis Christian Advocate of the Methodist Episcopal Church, which also gives the date and place of her marriage. It was this marriage location and other research that led us to his father, who was Henry Deweese (b. 1789), youngest son of Henry the elder (d. After 1830 in Buncombe Co., NC). Solomon moved around a lot, being on the 1840 Johnson Co., IL census, the 1850 St. Francois Co., MO census, the 1860 Collin Co., TX census, and the 1870 Texas Co., MO.