DICKERMAN-L Archives

Archiver > DICKERMAN > 2000-05 > 0959231493

From: Charles Ray <>
Subject: Putman B Dickerman
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 00:11:33 -0500

John,

This is undoubtedly Putnam Bailey Dickerman, born 7/7/1840 at Jewett in
Greene County, New York. He was the son of Joel Dickerman and Eunice
Bailey. Joel was the son of Joel Dickerman and Catherine Atwater. The
lineage is Putnam, Joel, Joel, Hezekiah, Jonathan, Isaac, Abraham,
Thomas, George.

Per our earlier discussion of cousins... Catherine Atwater's parents
were Samuel Atwater and Ruth Dickerman. Ruth was the daughter of Samuel
Dickerman and Mary Alling. So here we have first cousins once removed.

Anyway, back to Putnam, he enlisted 8/1/1862 in the 120th at Jewett. Saw
action at Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and the
Wilderness. Was made 2nd Lt on 12/22/1864 and mustered out 6/2/1865.

Apparently he, and all his living siblings moved to the Rockford, IL
area. All of his children were born in New Milford, IL which is just
south of Rockford.

On a small world note, my grandmother Bessie Ableman, daughter of
Eleanor Dickerman, went to high school with Elizabeth Hammond, the
grandaughter of Putnam Bailey Dickerman.

John, I do have some other info on this family if you want it.

Charlie Ray

This thread: