DNA-NEWBIE-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-NEWBIE > 2008-06 > 1213336508

Subject: Re: [DNA-NEWBIE] Brick wall ? is dna the way to go
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 01:55:08 EDT

Hi, Bob-

You are correct about the use of the Y DNA testing--you could compare
Jeffery's male descendants with John's to determine whether Jeffery is John's
father or not. If he isn't, you would have to compare other male descendants you
know were fathered by Paul (if any) to determine whether he is the father or
not.

There is no way to determine for sure if Grace was John's mother or not
through mtDNA testing unless John is still living and can have an mtDNA test and
the results compared to a direct FEMALE descendant of Grace's (daughter to her
daughter on down the line). John WILL have inherited mtDNA from his mother
but he won't pass it down to HIS children.

Joan

In a message dated 6/13/2008 12:07:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

>From my understanding of dna and what you have said the YDNA from John's
male direct line descendants and that of direct male line descendants of
Jeffery's should be able to prove or disprove if Jeffery is John's father.

Now with the mt DNA am a little confused of the line link that needs to be
taken to prove or disprove who his mother is. Assuming that it is Grace it
would have to be mt DNA from the sisters and half sisters of John, or direct
female link to younger generation wouldn't it? But what mt DNA would it have
to be from what male line to prove this also?

Nelda thanks for the link. I will see if I can make sense of it.

Bob May
Sunshine Coast

2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

This thread: