DNA-NEWBIE-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-NEWBIE > 2008-09 > 1221775738

From: "Bob May" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA-NEWBIE] DNA-NEWBIE re: the Spanish Influenza, etc.
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:08:58 +1000

Could this be what you were thinking about?
A sample of lung tissue from a 21-year-old soldier who died in 1918 at Fort
Jackson in South Carolina[4], yielded what the Army researchers were looking
for: intact pieces of viral RNA that could be analysed and sequenced. In a
first publication in 1997, nine short fragments of Spanish flu viral RNA
were revealed (Taubenberger et al. 1997). Due to the rough tissue
preparation procedure in 1918, no living virus or complete viral RNA
sequences were recovered.

http://www.sunshine-project.org/publications/others/gmoflu.html

bob