DNA-NEWBIE-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-NEWBIE > 2008-09 > 1221777015

Subject: Re: [DNA-NEWBIE] DNA-NEWBIE re: the Spanish Influenza, etc.
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:30:15 EDT

Um...no. To build immunity you would have had to have been exposed to a
person or the virus itself WHILE the virus was active or have received a killed
or modified live version of the virus in a vaccine.

When someone actively has a virus (and is contagious) or had just received a
vaccine that contains a modified live form of a virus they can either pass
the virus to someone else or the other person can (without showing symptoms)
build immunity to the virus.

This is the reason why an unvaccinated person can contract polio in rare
instances if they come in contact with a person who has recently received the
vaccine.

Joan

In a message dated 9/18/2008 5:37:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,