DNA-NEWBIE-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-NEWBIE > 2008-12 > 1230483226

Subject: Re: [DNA-NEWBIE] new results
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:53:46 EST

Hi, Liz-

I recently had my mtDNA done and my haplogroup is H3a. I know that my
maternal great-grandmother came to America from Northern Ireland and identified her
ethnicity as Scotch-Irish. I understand my results fit with this ethnicity
and that H3a is relatively common throughout Europe.

I note that your mtDNA results show only HV but apparently didn't check for
subgroupings such as HV1, HV2, HV3 etc. Different companies test different
things and mtDNA isn't generally easy to actually match with others. For one
thing, there isn't a single surname to follow on back for a match.

My understanding is that with mtDNA you look for matches of SNVs.

Joan

In a message dated 12/28/2008 10:17:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,