Archiver > DNA-NEWBIE > 2010-02 > 1265306375

Subject: Re: [DNA-NEWBIE] Basic DNA information for a beginner
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 12:59:35 EST

I did a VERY basic article in the Dec.2009 RootsWeb Review and there are
some links in the article to Ancestry's blog and their introduction
information on DNA research:

In a message dated 2/4/2010 8:00:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

I am about to prove that I belong on this list and am a "newbie." Does
anyone out there know of any general source of information, preferably in
book form, for an absolute BEGINNER to learn the basics? Though not a
beginner to genealogy (not by a long shot), I am definitely a total novice
when it comes to the DNA aspect of it, and would like to find something
written that the average layman can understand if there is such a thing.
I've purchased a copy of "Genetics For Dummies," and while the Dummies
series of books are on level I am looking for, that particular one does not
offer much insight into DNA testing as it pertains to genealogy.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate hearing from

David E. Cann

Please refrain from promoting commercial companies and from discussing
prices on the list.

Post in PLAIN TEXT, not MIME or HTML.

and the body of the message

This thread: