DNA-NEWBIE-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-NEWBIE > 2010-07 > 1278890716

From: Rebekah Adele Canada <>
Subject: Re: [DNA-NEWBIE] Fw: A question
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 18:25:16 -0500

Hi,

The DNA used for most crime investigations is a panel of 13 autosomal
STR (short tandem repeat) markers. These are sometimes used for basic
paternity testing as well.

Some crime investigations use a panel of Y-chromosome DNA STRs. The
usual number for a forensic test is between 7 and 17.

Mitochondrial DNA is used in some cases. It is especially useful
because it does not break down as quickly as autosomal and
Y-chromosome DNA. Usually though only a small segment is used.

Current autosomal DNA tests for genealogy use hundreds of thousands of
SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms. Genealogical Y-chromosome DNA
tests use at least 30 STRs. Genealogical mitochondrial DNA tests use
the complete mtGenome.

So, the best answer is mostly yes BUT forensics does not test at the
quality level that genealogy does.

---
Regards,
Rebekah A. Canada
Volunteer Administrator, Family Tree DNA
H & HV mtDNA Hg Project
Q Y-DNA Hg Project, I-P109 Y-DNA Hg Project, Scandinavian Y-DNA Project
http://www.google.com/profiles/rebekahthorn
http://friendfeed.com/rebekahthorn

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Toni Evans <> wrote:

> [...]

This thread: