DNA-NEWBIE-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-NEWBIE > 2011-10 > 1318994859

From: "Bob May" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA-NEWBIE] How many family members should be tested?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:27:39 +1000

Carol
Let's take the different types of DNA separately.
YDNA. Your son, husband and father-in-law taking it read that they are
father son and grandson respectively will have the same YDNA with the slight
chance that there may be a mutation at any of the later two births.
mtDNA All three will have different mtDNA as they inherit this from their
mother and cannot pass it on.
The nephew will have different YDNA from all three but will have the same
mtDNA as the father-in-law as his sister passed it to her son (again
assuming that they had the same mother, brother and sister).
Austosomal DNA (Chromosomes 1 to 22 and Chromosome X) All of you will have
different results from this DNA because it is inherited from both parents
for a girl and except for Chromosome X for a boy which is only from his
mother. These chromosomal go through recombination before they are passed on
in the egg and the sperm (which determines the sex of the baby) so even
siblings have a different % mixture except for identical twins.
Uses
YDNA trace the male to male to male direct line decent so any one of the
three would be able to provide this results.
mtDNA traces the female to female to female line of decent so you would need
to get all three done (and your son will also give you yours) and the
father-in-law will give you that for his mother and sister and his nephew..
For YDNA I would use FTDNA as the testing company as they have the biggest
database for this and all people using them are testing for genealogy.
I will come back to mtDNA in a minute.
Autosomal DNA you can use the FTDNA FAMILY FINDER tests or 23andme Test.
FTDNA test is as I have outlined above. The 23andme test includes the Y
Chromosome and will give you the YDNA Haplogroup and the mtDNA haplogroup,
but no markers. It also includes health risk component. With this type of
test it allows you to trace a male to female to female to male type of
decent line and all the other variants.
FTDNA tester are interested in genealogy whilst 23andme tester are a mixture
of both, but at this time as far as autosomal DNA goes they have the largest
data base.
With Autosomal DNA usage more is better as far as getting results.
This is that I have done to date.
My wife's maternal Uncle has had YDNA, mtDNA and Family Finder done at
FTDNA. One of his sisters has had Family Finder done at FTDNA. The other
sister, my wife mother, and her will have the 23andme test. I am looking for
one of the male line cousins of my wife's who descend directly from her
maternal grandfather. The maternal grandfather is my person of interest as
his birth was never registered so we cannot prove who his parents were in
the conventional way.
Nearly forgot, for full mtDNA analysis I would use FTDNA
Hope this answers your questions
Bob