DOBBS-L Archives

Archiver > DOBBS > 2000-10 > 0971371146

From: <>
Subject: Re: [DOBBS] Book --- Dobbs Family History
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:19:06 EDT

William S. Dobbs b c 1775 VA son of Chelsley Dobbs. To continue with some
info on this line. Claiborne Co., TN deeds book K p 33-34 Apr 4, 1825 Power
of attorney from William Dobbs of Warren CO TN to James Dobbs of Claiborne
Co " I appoint my true and trusty friend and borther James Dobbs my
attorney." reg Claiborne Co TN 4 Sep 1833.
Clairborne Co TN Deed book M 4 Aug 1838, William S Dobbs of Warren Co TN to
William Marcum of Clairborne, my one tenth part of an undivided tract of land
on Russell's Creek that my father, Chesley Dobbs, lived on till his death for
$35, William S. Dobbs.
Warren Co TN deed book F p 19-20 William Dobbs of Warren Co to Alfred C Dobbs
and Elijah Dobbs of the same Co part of lot 42 in the town of McMinnville.
Cannon Co census 1850 (note Cannon Co was formed from Warren Co TN.)
household #24 William S Dobbs 74 Blacksmith b VA
Matilda 42 b NC

household # 27 Elijah Dobbs 39 Blacksmith b NC
Lita 34 b NC
P. J. 12 b TN

That is about all I have on Willliam S Dobbs. I have a few other deeds from
Clarirborne Co TN and Warren Co TN. Also he was a Capt in the home guard in
Clairborne Co TN but did not serve in the War of 1812. He may have lived in
McMinn Co TN for a short period of time but that needs more work.

Now some info on James Dobbs brother of William S Dobbs and son of Chesley
Dobbs. From above he was still in Clairborne CO TN when he was named power of
attorney for William.
James Dobbs born 23 Feb 1789 had a child born to Nellie Collingsworth out of
wed-lock, Elizra Dobbs b 30 July 1813. Elizra sometime used the Dobbs name
and sometimes used Collingsworth. She married Joshua Hamilton.

Now to get to Chesley Scott Dobbs. There was a journal written about him by
an elderly descendent there is a lot of truth in the journal but also some
things that don't add up.

This is inpart my own theory about the parents of Chesley Scott Dobbs. The
journal says that the the father of Chesley Scott Dobbs married Nancy Barnard
in Claiborne Co TN and was named Jonathan Dobbs. I can not find a Jonathan
Dobbs of the right age in Claiborne anywhere no one by that name paid taxes,
served on a jury, worked on a road or got into the court records and I have
read all the court minute books. I think the lady got mixed up about the
Barnards because there were several Jonathan Barnards.
James Dobbs lived close to the Barnard family and is on several records with
the Barnards. Clairborne Co Court minutes. 1818-1819 Jonathan Barnard and
James Dobbs paid the fine of James Barnard. Deed book S James Dobbs to
Jonathan Barnard. The 1830 Clairborne CO TN census for James Dobbs matches
what the journal says are Chesley Scott Dobbs and his brothers and sisters.
The parents of Chesley Scott Dobbs go to Indiana about 1834/35 and then show
up in Dade Co Mo where Joel Dobbs another son of Chesley Dobbs is. The oldest
sister of Chesley Scott Dobbs, Sarah Ann Dobbs marries Joseph Harbert in 1845
Polk Co MO( I have to exact date some where). Nancy Dobbs was a charter
member of the Turkey Creek Baptist Church. Orlena Jane Dobbs Hurst, a
daughter of Joel Dobbs, was also a member and is buried in the Turkey Creek
Cemetery.
There is a story in the Chesley Scott Dobbs records that his family then went
to AR with some of their connections to go to the Gold fields but got as far
a Van Buren AR and some of the group got measels and they stopped.
Van Buren AR is in Crawford Co AR. I have tax records from Crawford Co AR.
1846 Dobbs, C. S. 1 horse and 1 pole, 1847 Dobbs, James 1 pole, 1849 George
Dobbs 1 pole, 1850 Dobbs, Geo and Dobbs, James 1 pole each. Nothing after
that. The Crawford Co Court House burned and except the tax records there in
nothing else from this time period.

Also on the Crawford Co tax list is Archibald Dobbs son of Joel Dobbs
starting 1849.
The 1850 Cradford Co census Lees Creek Twp in Archibald Dobbs by himself.
Also Sugar Loaf Twp Nancy Dobbs 54 b TN
Jonathan 20 b TN
William M 18 b TN
Nancy A 14 b IN

In Fort Smith
Harbert, Joseph 36 b IL
Sarah Ann 28 b TN
Polly M 5 b MO
James D 2 b AR
John B 1/12 b AR

I know that there is not conclusive proof that James Dobbs b 1789 to Chesley
Dobbs is the father of Chesley Scott Dobbs but I feel that I have a pretty
strong case of evidence. The association with the Barnard family the path
they followed and the close association with the family of Joel Dobbs helps
with this. I know other researchers have tried to put the James Dobbs of
Casey Co KY and the James Dobbs of Bradley Co TN as the son but I have
evidence that this is not correct.

I think the question of parents for Chesley Dobbs from Culpeper CO VA has
also come up but at this point I don't have that. Another descendent hired
some professional researchers and they spent a year on that task but no
results. I haven't given up but haven't had the time to do extensive research
in the VA records.

This thread: