DOBBS-L Archives

Archiver > DOBBS > 2000-10 > 0972488762

From: "Guffin, R. L." <>
Subject: RE: [DOBBS] Nathan/Nathaniel Dobbs
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:46:02 -0500

To Nathan/Nathaniel Dobbs researchers:

The number of Nathaniel/Nathan Dobbs in
the southeast between 1790 and 1850 is generally
confusing to Dobbs researchers. I am compiling
this list to perhaps bring some clarity to the research
and stimulate some conversation on the subject:

Nathaniel Dobbs 1790 census of Anson Co., NC
Nathan Dobbs Sept. 30, 1793 appointed an attorney
in Richmond Co., GA "to demand, receive, and
recover all of my pay accured of final settlement,
with interest, and bounty land due me as a soldier
for the U. S. and state of Virginia."
Nathaniel Dobbs (Sr.) made will in April 1800 in Union Co., SC
Nathaniel Dobbs 1800 census of Greenville Dist., SC
(head of household age 26-45)
Nathan Dobbs Obtained 200 acre land grant in Franklin Co.,
GA in 1801
Nathan Dobbs Tax was paid for Nathan Dobbs in Franklin
Co., GA in 1802
Nathan Dobbs Participated in the 1805 GA land lottery as
a resident of Franklin Co., GA
Nathaniel Dobbs Participated in the 1806 Land Lottery of
Clarke County, GA
(The 1810 GA census is missing)
Nathaniel Dobbs Sr. 1820 census of Gwinnett Co., GA
over 45 years of age
Nathan Dobbs Jr. 1820 census of Gwinnett Co., GA
age 26-45
Nathan Dobbs 1830 census of Gwinnett Co., GA
age 60-70
Nathan Dobbs Applied for Revolutionary War Pension
as a resident of Gwinnett Co., GA; states that he
was born in 1760 in Henry Co., VA
Nathan Dobbs, Sr. Drew land in the 1833 Cherokee
Land Lottery of Georgia but evidently did not claim
the land he drew
Nathan Dobbs 1840 census of Gwinnett Co., GA
age 80-90
N. Dobbs 1840 census of Harris Co., GA
age 30-40 (may or may not be a Nathan/Nathaniel)
Nathan Dobbs 1850 census of Gwinnett Co., GA;
he was 96, born in VA; his wife Frances Dobbs
was 80 and born in NC
Nathaniel Dobbs 1850 census of Macon Co., AL;
Nathaniel is 65 and born in NC; his wife, Sarah A.,
was 40 and born in SC
Nathan Dobbs 1860 census of Macon Co., AL;
Nathan is 73, born in SC and his wife, Sarah A.,
is 60 and born in SC
Nathan Dobbs' widow, Sarah A. Dobbs, as S. A. Dobbs
is living in Coosa Co., AL in 1870, age 66, b. in SC

These are taken from primary records and it will be left
up to your analytical skills as to how one might separate
the various Nathans/Nathaniels.
R. L. Guffin