DONAUSCHWABEN-VILLAGES-L Archives

From: ajleeb <>
Subject: Re: Silkworms (Re: [DVHH-Villages-L] Halbfrucht)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:02:42 -0700

The government enforced some stipulations regarding what to do, etc...
To raise silkworms, I don't believe was one of them.
Raising silkworms was one of the easiest income there was in the early days.
As long as there were Mulberry trees in the villages anybody could have
silkworms.
There is hardly any work involved, at the beginning, the only thing was done
is,
spread some Mulberry leafs on a flat surface and then put the silkworms on
top of the leafs. The silkworms would eat away until the leafs were gone and
then keep replacing them until about 5-6 weeks.
As a child, that was my job to make sure there were fresh leafs on hand all
the time. We enjoyed doing it.
That was an easy income for the farmers. The husband and wife still go out
to the field and do the other jobs. For the children it was fun and for the
adults it was extra money.
As for the Mulberry trees, the trees were planted on the streets and some in
the yards, not in the gardens.

Alex.