Archiver > DONAUSCHWABEN-VILLAGES > 2003-11 > 1069088578-02

From: Robert Zink <>
Subject: Re: Silkworms (Re: [DVHH-Villages-L] Halbfrucht)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:02:58 -0400

on 11/15/2003 5:02 PM, ajleeb shared the following:

> The government enforced some stipulations regarding what to do, etc...
> To raise silkworms, I don't believe was one of them.
> Raising silkworms was one of the easiest income there was in the early days.
> As long as there were Mulberry trees in the villages anybody could have
> silkworms.

Thanks, Alex. That makes more sense to me. I was having trouble
understanding how such a "requirement" would be imposed.

The translation as originally put was, "At the time of settlement, the
settlers had been required to raise silkworms." I question "required."

Perhaps it was intended to illustrate how it was economically imperative to
operate a cottage industry to remain financially secure. In that case it
should have read, "At the time of settlement, the settlers found it
necessary to raise silkworms."

Just my guess!

This thread: